Oil filter options

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KG

Oil filter options

Post by KG »

As I start the planning for my engine overhaul, I am trying to decide what system to use for oil filtration.

As I posted in another thread, I will not be reinstalling my F&M oil filter adapter (aka "ole leaky"). I'm sick of it springing leaks every time the oil is changed.

I have a good friend who says, "Put the screen back in. It operated for fifty years like that without a problem." I have to admit, he has a point.

The mechanic who will be removing and reinstalling my engine swears by the firewall mounted filters. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them but the idea of adding hoses to such a simple system, thereby complicating it, disturbs me, although I'm not quite sure why.

Do any of you have the firewall mounted filter? And, if so, how do you like it? Any problems or recommendations?

Thanks,
Keith
53 170B
Robert Eilers

Re: Oil filter options

Post by Robert Eilers »

KG - I finaly became frustated enough with the F&M adapter to replace it with the firewall mounted filter adapter. I searched through my files looking for the invoice associated with the installation, but just can't ocate it. Lately, everyone is sending invoices via e-mail - if you don't save it it utimately disappears. Never-the-less, I am very ahppy with the firewall mounted filter - it really makes changing oil a breeze. I remember the hoses costing a pretty penny - but no regfrets.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Your filter set-up probably leaks where the body of the filter adapter connects to the accessory case.
Keep in mind the adapter for the firewall mounted filter will have to have its adapter mounted in the same place.
However, it will vave two additional hoses, each having two end connectors which can leak.
A good mechanic can keep the F&M filter from leaking.
BL
indyav8n

Post by indyav8n »

KG

I have the firewall mounted oil filter system and have had no problems, its a slick installation and filter change is a snap.
Wes
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I realize this is contrary to what you plan...but I also agree with bluEldr that the FM filter is the one to have. Mine has been there for 11 years without leaking. Installation (torque...and clean threads...they will loan you the tool to clean the threads) and the proper gasket is the key.
Just my opinion on FM.

But the firewall filters complicate matters with hoses (a hazard in themselves...lots of engine failures have occured in history simply due to hose/oil-line failures) and one of the firewall setups isn't even a filter (Oberg)...it's another screen WITH hoses...so I'd agree with your mechanic on that one.

The main reason to have the spin on filter (in my mind)* is to avoid the nasty process of removing/cleaning that darned screen!!!!...so that's why I don't like the Oberg OR the original setup but DO like the FM. I'd really like to see you give the FM another chance with a good installation.

* The R&R of the screen offers a serious threat of introducing another engine-failure because of the oil temp probe which is mounted in that screen. I have personally experienced an inflight engine failure due to oil-pressure-loss when that probe suffered failure from repeated over-worked oil-changes. The FM eliminates that repetitive threat, as well as the messiness of the screen-cleaning.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I'd just like to chime in about the Oberg system. I have one on my 170B, installed years ago before I bought the plane. I've used it for six years now without any problems, no leaks at all. There's no stock Continental screen to mess with. The Oberg screen is extremely fine -- particles would have to be almost microscopic to get through it. The manufacturer claims that it removes smaller particles than an oil filter does, but that's a marketing claim, and I wouldn't vouch for the truth of it. Being flat and 6" across, it's very easy to see and examine what's accumulated on the screen, and very easy to clean up in a pan with some solvent or fuel. Replacement screens are cheap, but I've only needed one in the time I've had it. The unit includes a differential pressure sensor that lights a light on the instrument panel to tell you if the screen is clogged, or if the oil is too cold to fly. That's been good to have at times, actually.

That said, if I didn't have the Oberg already installed, I probably wouldn't buy one -- I'd install the F&M (or similar?) unit, because it's a simpler installation, with fewer things to go wrong.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

Gahorn wrote

"The main reason to have the spin on filter (in my mind)* is to avoid the nasty process of removing/cleaning that darned screen!!!!...so that's why I don't like the Oberg OR the original setup"

I have a different opinion. I have an F & M on my 170A and it is a fine product. I have also had the ADC system in several aircraft and used Oberg filters on go fast cars. I would prefer to have an ADC (Oberg) filter in our 170 as I find it less messy to clean a 6" stainless screen than cut apart a paper filter and deal with 25' of oil soaked paper. An additional benefit of the ADC system is reduced oil temperatures and the bypass indicator. If installed with quality hoses (Aeroquip 666 or similar) I would not loose too much sleep worrying about hose failure.

Marshall
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

I also had a ADC system on a Stinson. One thing I liked is the filter adaptor had a hex machined on top to put a wrench on to keep from torquing the firewall when taking the filter off. Good thinking.
KG

Post by KG »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to have to make a decision in the next few weeks. I'm still have mixed feelings about all the systems.

The multiple pages on this forum filled with comments regarding the F&M adapters leaking far outweighs the few who have had them and say they haven't had any problems. If I were the only one who ever changed the oil, maybe I could be very careful and not cause leaks, but I'm not always the one working on it. In less than two years I've had four mechanics, two of whom are familiar with the F&M adapter, cause leaks during the process of changing the oil filter. Other than a catastrophic failure, I don't see how any of the other systems can be any worse.

My engine core that I will be using has the original screen. I might just keep that for now and install a filter system later.

Thanks for the input. Stand by for more questions from the guy climbing the steep learning curve...... (that would be me)

Keith
53 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Keith,

You already own the F&M filter. Why not reinstall it to catch the inevitable metal being made during break in. Then remove it for the screen or another system later. It's not hard to do at all, just a bit more trouble than a regular screen removal and change.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
KG

Post by KG »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Keith,

You already own the F&M filter. Why not reinstall it to catch the inevitable metal being made during break in. Then remove it for the screen or another system later. It's not hard to do at all, just a bit more trouble than a regular screen removal and change.
Now that might just be the best suggestion I've had yet. Thank you, Bruce!
53 170B