Voltage Regulator

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

azmuth1

Voltage Regulator

Post by azmuth1 »

I am getting variable charging from my voltage regulator, from 0 at flight RPM to 4 amps at taxi RPM, so I am going to replace it. I am looking for references to finding to correct replacement. (1949 170A, 145-2, original style generator). One guy wants to install a Delco from the auto store, saying it is the same thing without the FAA sticker. I want to install the correct one.

Thanks,
John
canav8

Re: Voltage Regulator

Post by canav8 »

John be careful it depends on which generator you have. 20 amp? 35amp? yes the actual regulator was commonly found in automobiles but there is a company in Kentucky I believe that rebuilds the generators and sells new regulators. I gotta go to the hangar to get the name. Or you can do a search on this forum board. This has been covered in the past.
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... =regulator
Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

John, here is a thread I started for just this purpose. http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... +regulator

About the third post down is a table of part numbers I compiled.

Most of the rest of the thread has info how to determine what you have already which may or may not be an aircraft part.

Doug is correct. You must get a regulator to match your generator.

My advice if I was to replace a voltage regulator is to buy the electronic model available from Zeftronics. I've never heard of someone not happy with theirs. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... icsreg.php
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
15A

Post by 15A »

My advice if I was to replace a voltage regulator is to buy the electronic model available from Zeftronics. I've never heard of someone not happy with theirs. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... icsreg.php
Bruce, You're going to hear it now!
My Zeftronic VR would shut-off after a couple hours flying time. Sent it back and they found nothing wrong. The problem persist.
The final determination we came up with was that there had to be a bad ground somewhere. I was told the slightest 'spike' would trip that VR and shut it off.
Each time it went down, I'd cycle my master switch, and it would come right back. I eventually bought another off ebay 8O and switched it out. It's been fine since!!! Knock on wood! Hind sight tells me I should have stayed with the old points VR!
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Noting is perfect but I've had a Zeftronics VR installed for 12 years with no problems.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

azmuth1 wrote:I am getting variable charging from my voltage regulator, from 0 at flight RPM to 4 amps at taxi RPM, so I am going to replace it. I am looking for references to finding to correct replacement. (1949 170A, 145-2, original style generator). One guy wants to install a Delco from the auto store, saying it is the same thing without the FAA sticker. I want to install the correct one.

Thanks,
John
Joe, if you truly have your "original" regulator, the PN is 0413205, which is a 20 amp VR. The Delco-Remy PN is 1118736, and the ElectroDelta PN is 1118904. The "correct", genuine aviation FAA-PMA part can be obtained from Aircraft Spruce, (877-477-7823) THEIR PN 07-00899 for about $160.

The Zeftronics unit is also available, and is a good product, but Spruce does not list the 20 amp unit. You need the Zeftronics G1200N for a 20 Amp generator. NEVER install a higher capacity regulator than the generator output. It's important to match regulators to generators with regard to amperage, if you wish to have maximum output without burning up the generator. (A lower amperage regulator is OK and will not cause damage, but will limit the higher-amperage capacity generator to the maximum value of the regulator. A higher amp reg. will burn up a lower-amp generator.)

http://www.zeftronics.com
Zeftronics.pdf
(18.26 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote: The Zeftronics unit is also available, and is a good product, but Spruce does not list the 20 amp unit. You need the Zeftronics G1200N for a 20 Amp generator. [/attachment]
If you go to toward the bottom of the Spruce page linked above they do have the Zeftronics G1200N (p/n07-00617) listed for $140.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

lowNslow wrote:
gahorn wrote: The Zeftronics unit is also available, and is a good product, but Spruce does not list the 20 amp unit. You need the Zeftronics G1200N for a 20 Amp generator. [/attachment]
If you go to toward the bottom of the Spruce page linked above they do have the Zeftronics G1200N (p/n07-00617) listed for $140.
How strange. When I accessed Spruce's "voltage regulator" page it displays one without the G1200.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... volreg.php

You're right...the Spruce "Zeftronics" page does show it. :roll:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
15A

Post by 15A »

I do like the Zeftronic VR. Unfortunately I had some minor issues, but they were cleared up. Tech support was excellent.
But, just for a 'heads-up', grounding seems to be the root of most electrical problems. Our planes are 50+ years old. It's not a bad idea to spend a little time cleaning the grounding contact areas.
Just my experience! :wink:
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

15A wrote:I do like the Zeftronic VR. Unfortunately I had some minor issues, but they were cleared up. Tech support was excellent.
But, just for a 'heads-up', grounding seems to be the root of most electrical problems. Our planes are 50+ years old. It's not a bad idea to spend a little time cleaning the grounding contact areas.
Just my experience! :wink:
Joe,

I've had the same experience with the Zeftronic regulator. I even replaced it with a new one, and it still was cutting out after about an hour of flight. The Zeftronic tech support guy suggested I make sure all the contacts to it were tight and clean, to prevent a voltage spike on the overvoltage sensing circuit. I did that to the best of my ability, to no avail. A friend suggested looking at the ground path. That rang very true to my experience, so I looked it over.

The factory-installed ground has a lot of links to it: from battery through a braid to the firewall, then an aluminum strap across the shock mount to the engine mount, then jumping over another mount to the engine. There are a lot of opportunities there for connections to deteriorate, and while this setup might have been just fine for a new 170 as equipped from the factory, it might not be good enough any more in a 55 year old airplane with advanced electronics.

I added a second cable from the battery terminal to one of the starter mounting studs, and that seems to have solved the problem. This only addresses the ground path from the battery to the engine, so I think it really only helps the starter, generator, and voltage regulator. If the avionics are spazzing out, the problem has got to be somewhere else.

I really like the Zeftronic units, and their documentation and tech support are excellent. The later units have LEDs on them that help you diagnose problems. I installed a new one in my Swift this year after an overcharging episode with a relay-based regulator, and feel much better about the whole system.

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jrenwick.... wrote: A friend suggested looking at the ground path. ...

From "Troubleshooting the Generator/Regulator System", page 7 of The Cessna 170 Service Manual, Electrical System:
"Confirm that the voltage regulator base is grounded to the firewall and that the rubber shock mounts do not insulate it from achieving such a ground (ground strap is secure.)"

And from page10: "REMEMBER: The single most overlooked solution to generator/regulator problems is lack of proper polarization, followed by improper grounds."
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Thanks, George. There's no such thing as too many reminders!

John
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jrenwick wrote:Thanks, George. There's no such thing as too many reminders!

John
And also Remember, the author of that manual is an idiot. "The single most overlooked solution to generator/regulator problems is lack of proper polarization, followed by improper grounds." ... is not a single issue, but TWO issues. :oops:
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

gahorn wrote:
jrenwick wrote:Thanks, George. There's no such thing as too many reminders!

John
And also Remember, the author of that manual is an idiot. "The single most overlooked solution to generator/regulator problems is lack of proper polarization, followed by improper grounds." ... is not a single issue, but TWO issues. :oops:
I read the sentence as The single most overlooked solution to generator/regulator problems is lack of proper polarization and the next most common is improper grounds. Guess the meaning is in the eye of the reader.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
azmuth1

Post by azmuth1 »

FYI...here is what was found to be the cause.

I guess a gremlin was the cause. The gen was pulled because the VR didn't solve the problem. The Gen Shop said it was charging as a new one. Re-installed. Used an alligator clip to the post to test amps and all ok. Installed the wires on the gen post and tightened the nut...the gremlin was laughing again! :lol: Yes..removed the gen again after suspecting a loose post mount; found the gen post was not making constant contact due to the pull of the nut on the post. The post problem was not found at the shop the 1st time because they also used a clip when testing. Repaired and all is well for now.

John