Headliner Installation

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

skylking

Headliner Installation

Post by skylking »

Can anyone point me to a good reference source for installing a headliner (wool) in my 170A? I did it years ago but have forgotten the steps I took. I know it can be frustrating if not done properly. Also, on a related note, does anyone have a proven method for keeping mice out of the airplane? I've tried every trap, device, repellant and home remedy that I can come up with and still can't get rid of the little devils. Hence my question about the headliner. Thanks in advance for any advice.
counsellj

Re: Headliner Installation

Post by counsellj »

lock the wife's cat in your cockpit. I have three that I can send you free of charge.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

How about a snake? Would provide hours of entertainment also. :lol:
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
skylking

Post by skylking »

The wife left and took the cat about 10 years ago. Tried the snake but I think I'd perfer the mice. Someone told me today that the fabric softner sheets you put in the dryer works. Anyone tried that?
azmuth1

Post by azmuth1 »

I use Irish Spring soap in my camper during winter storage...works great. Just peal it off the bar with knife into a short 1/2 pint container. Then, set it by where you think they might be entering. Worth a try.
Kurt Aichele

Post by Kurt Aichele »

Lorraine Morris at C77 made a video on headliner installation. She is associated with the 120/140 Association. I'm still looking for my members book for the 120/140 Assn. to find her contact info. In the meantime, check thier website at www.cessna120-140.org
Hope this helps.
skylking

Post by skylking »

Thanks guys I will follow both these suggestions..........still taking the cats and the snakes under advisement....I appreciate the help.
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

I also am replacing my headliner - not due to mice though, just age. If you find that info on how to, that would be great to have posted on our site.

Paul
Paul
N3458D
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Many years ago, (maybe 40) dad made a 'mouse barrier'. It's just galvanized steel sheet about seven inches wide formed into a circle. The ends are bent to hook together. It goes around the tailwheel, because that's where they get in. Haven't had a mouse problem in the 170 since.
Fall is the worst time as they're looking for a cozy place to spend the winter, so be sure to use whatever you use then.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

How about old fashioned mothballs? Some old timers swear they work on mice. Keep the bugs out of your wool headliner, too.

I have a couple of surplus wool blankets that I keep in the airplane for survival gear. They've got enough camphor in them to keep everybody's airplane pest free for a century.
-Scott
skylking

Post by skylking »

Tried the mothballs, tied in an old sock...........the mice just used the sock as nesting material. I think these are SUPER-MICE.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Never never NEVER allow anyone to eat/drink anything but water in an airplane. Even the tiniest crumbs from sandwiches, crackers, nuts, etc.. are attractants.
Then, provide a diversion :
MVC-011S.JPG
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Is that fuel lube on the triggering devise of that approved rodent eliminator or unapproved common peanut butter? :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Where can I find an STC for the rodent remover. Also, does it have to be TSO'd or can I use an expermental device. I also heard that if you pre-lube the pivot mechanism with MMO, it will keep it from sticking. :D :D

Paul
Paul
N3458D
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If memory serves, there was talk some time ago about the "danger" of welding a tie down ring to the top of the tail wheel mounting bolt, due to negating the heat treat of the bolt, or some such.
Sure looks to me like a welding job on the bolt head just behind the peanut butter. That tail wheel is just waiting to fall off in flight!
BL