Checklist

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

j3pup

Checklist

Post by j3pup »

Does anybody have a checklist typed up? I started to create one from the manual and figured somebody has already typed this up. Using the search function I found a link to one that no longer exists. If you can save me some typing I would greatly appreciate it, if not I will be donating a copy to the organization after I am done.
canav8

Re: Checklist

Post by canav8 »

J3 I will send you one. What is your email address? I use one for the flight school ship. DOug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
j3pup

Post by j3pup »

Randy@Hentz.net

Thanks,

Randy
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Randy, I sent you the older versions of the checklist in word. They have a few mistakes in there but If you want the most current ones, I have them in PDF format and you can modify them with Acrobat if you have it. Please let me know. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

canav8 wrote:Randy, I sent you the older versions of the checklist in word. They have a few mistakes in there but If you want the most current ones, I have them in PDF format and you can modify them with Acrobat if you have it. Please let me know. Doug
Or you can cut and paste the PDF file to a word document to edit it if you don't have Acrobat.
Rick
N170MB
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

TakeOff Checks

1- Trim...........Set.
2- Flaps..........Set
3-Doors/Windows/Belts...CK'd
4-Flight Controls......Free, Full Movmnt
5-Avionics.......Set/Prgrmmd
6-Engine/Instrmnts.....RunUp/Instrumnts (this cks engine instrmnts as well as flt instrmnts, ie compass/altimeter)
7-IceProt.........CarbHt Ck'd/Set
8-TXDR...........Code/Sqwk
9-Fuel............Vlvs/Qty/Bal/Mixture (Our acft should be on BOTH,Conversions add PUMP)
10-Briefing.......Complete (This applies to Pax-Brf'g, as well as to Self/C-Plt re: rwy/route/altitudes/clearance/wx)

Appch/Landing Checks (GUMP is a common cklst but fails to consider config.& brief)

1-Briefing.......Complete
2-Fuel........... Vlvs/Qty/Bal/Mixture
3-Gear.......... Condition/Position (Park Brake free?)
4-Flaps..........As Req'd

Emergency (FETCH - as in fetch the emer. cklst or fetch help)

1-Fuel.......Vlvs/Qty/Bal/Mixture (PUMP?)
2-Engine....CarbHt/Mags
3-Trim......For Speed
4-Configuration....Consider (Gear/Flaps/Doors)
5-Help/Declare....Communicate/Briefing

Description:
I don't expect others to like this cklist, it's just one that I"ve used on every airplane I've ever flown since the mid-80's when my employer (British Aerospace) required it for all test-flights. It actually harks back to an earlier time in British aviation and it's true origins are unknown, but it works in every aircraft I've tried it, however for reprinting here (above) I've changed it slightly. The original version was used for each/every phase of flt and requires extensive memorization and knowlege of systems each aircraft:

PitchTrim/TrimTabs
Flaps/Undrcarriage
Press'n (which considers doors/windows)
Flt Ctrls
Radios/Radar/Lites/Elect
Engines&Instrumnts
IceProt'n
Txdr
Fuel Vlvs/Qty/Bal/Pumps

The Emer cklist merely added "Oxygen"
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Ancient Aviator Check List. (From B-25 school at Mather AAF, 1944) Things were considerably simpler in those days. I sometimes think we were tasked
with keeping the manufacturers of the airplanes busy. We tried.

C I G F T P R

C-- Controls
I -- Instruments
G-- Gas
F-- Flaps
T-- Trim
P-- Prop
R-- Run Up
BL
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

Following is my checklist:
1950 Cessna 170A Checklist

PREFLIGHT
Magneto switch - OFF
Fuel valve - ON BOTH
Check fuel quantity / caps on tight
Check windshield for cleanlinesses and cracks
Check oil level. Do not operate less than 6 qts (4 min)
Check propeller / spinner
Check carburetor air filter for restrictions
Check static opening / air horn
Check pilot tube / stall warning
Check landing lights
Check tires / wheels / breaks
Clear fuel strainers of water / sediment
Check control surfaces - movement / security
Check aileron - movement / security
Check wings / control surfaces for damage

BEFORE STARTING ENGINE
Seats, belts - Adjust and lock
Check breaks for pressure
Fuel valve - ON BOTH
Radios, electrical equipment - OFF

STARTING ENGINE
Mixture - RICH
Carburetor heat - COLD
Master switch - ON
Prime - As required
Throttle - Open 1/8 inch
Brakes - Hold
Ignition switch - Start
Propeller area - Clear
Pull starter
Oil pressure - full pressure in 30 secs.
Throttle 600-800 rpm 60 secs / 800-1000 rpm 3-5 mins
Strobe, Transponder, Radio - ON

BEFORE TAKE-OFF
Flight controls - Free and correct
Elevator trim - Take-off
Fuel valve - ON BOTH
Brakes - Hold
Throttle - 1600 rpm
Magnetos left drop 75 or less
Magnetos right drop 50 or less
Carburetor heat - Check rpm drop
Check engine instruments / suction gage
Reduce throttle
Set radio, altimeter, directional gyro

TAKE-OFF
Flaps - 0 to 20 degs
Carburetor heat - COLD
Mixture - RICH
Heels on floor
Full throttle
Climb speed - 75 to 80, 60 with 20 deg flaps
Best rate off climb 89 mph with zero flaps

CRUSING
Recommended maximum cruising RPM 2450
Above 3000 ft lean mixture to 10-25 rpm richer than max

LANDING
Fuel valve - ON BOTH
Mixture - RICH
Apply carburetor heat before closing throttle
Glide speed 70-75 mph
Flaps - under 100 mph
Carburetor heat - COLD

AFTER LANDING
Flaps UP
Engine idle 800 rpm
Mixture full LEAN to stop engine
Radios, electrical equipment - OFF
Master switch - OFF
Magneto switch - OFF

EMERGANCY
Glide 70-75 mph
Check carburetor heat
Check fuel tank level indicators
Check fuel selection valve
Check mixture control
Check throttle
Check primer
Check magnetos
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
170C

Post by 170C »

Blueldr, your checklist is almost identical to the one I was taught back in the early 1980's. We called it CIGARETTEFILTER or CIGFTR. There wasn't a prop check since the trainer ('48 C-140), like our birds, had a fixed pitch prop. I guess almost any of them are OK as long as we use one every time. It sure is easy to get lazy and not have one in front of us to follow. Guess that is why we were taught the one above :wink:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If any of you fellows ever flew in SAC (Strategic Air Command) you REALLY got into check lists. They had check lists for the check lists.
When I flew B-47s, I'll bet I had five pounds of check lists. It was a pain in the butt to go through that crap just to fill in the squares
so someboby made points.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:...When I flew B-47s, I'll bet I had five pounds of check lists. ....
That's because CIGFTR doesn't address the landing gear. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

At work, I fly a 1950s-vintage formerly-SAC airplane. Above the glareshield there's a flip down panel that has an 8 item checklist. Apparently Boeing that this was sufficient to operate the aircraft, and I'd probably agree.

The Air Force, Curtis LeMay style, replaced said item (although its still there) with BlueElder's requisite 75 lb bag of paper.

Recently, the movement has been to replace this paper with a laptop computer. But the paper is still hauled onto the airplane in case the computer fails.

The next change will likely be going back to the checklist on the glareshield. Just like a hamster on a wheel, CONTINUOUS CHANGE CREATES THE ILLUSION OF PROGRESS.

SAC is still alive in well, as I can personally attest to both bombers and tankers.
-Scott
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Wow check lists. One of my favorite subjects at work. :x

Of course the helicopter AFM has a check list several pages long, very detailed and a bit awkward to hold, read and perform the checks, even in the smaller three ring binder sytle. So the manufacturer made a really nice flip style check list with just the emergency procedures and an abbreviated operational check list which has less detail than the full manual. Still his is just a bit achward to hold, read and perform the checks.

So for years and years single pilot medevac pilots would go to their aircraft before any flight alert and "precock" the aircraft. This is when you do all the checks you need to do and through all the switches than can be thrown before hand, in some cases just leaving the battery to be turned on and the ingnition and throttle engaged. We would us a "flow method" to which is doing the same thing in the same order in a logical sequence to insure all was done. Of course all actions performed were "backed up by the check list". We after all fly single pilot, there is no other pilot or certified crew holding an FAA certificate to hold, read and insure the other pilot actually responds correctly to a check list.

Well some genius realized that pilots might all have a different flow and regardless if you "backed it up with the check list", it was time to have yet another check list that better followed the best logical flow. And in order that the check list could be hold with your teeth while you held the controls and performed each operation, it had to be limited to a single sheet about 3 x 8 inches and of course the type had to be big enough that those more "experienced" pilots could see it to read.

The Director of Operations (DO) asked for samples of a flow list from each of the pilots so the best could be selected and approved by the FAA. Well that lead to 35 lists being submitted from 30 pilots and non of them was deemed inclusive enough, after all how to you boil down what started as about ten pages of checks to a 3 x 8 sheet. So the DO handed the lists to Standards to meld them all together and add what ever was deemed missing, have that approved by the FAA and disseminate it to the pilots to follow. And all was well for a few years never mind aircraft weren't being flown as allowed by the original manufacturers check list but by what some guy with a big goofy Standards patch on his flight suit.

Well the latest gee wiz idea is that single pilot crews (yes that means there is only a pilot) should have some type of call and response and confirm check list. But how to do that when there is no other crew on board. Hmmm, we'll have the untrained uncertified passengers respond and confirm the pilot has performed the task they have just called out says the Standards guy with a nod from the FAA guy. 8O

Now in my case the passengers are the medical crew and the patient. So while the medical crew flies all the time and some of them have figured out what all those funny gauges in the panel mean and a most of them know what both throttles to fly look like, do you really want them to look up from between inserting an IV or paralyzing and intubating a patient to respond "full throttles and no caution warning lights".

Yes sir, check lists. We now have so many check lists we are required to have and use we have to have a check list to insure we have all the other check lists.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
j3pup

Post by j3pup »

Thanks all, it's intresting to see what everybody uses in all these different aircraft.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

1. Kick the tires

2. Light the fire

3. Go

4 KISS
BL