Off to Idaho

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Off to Idaho

Post by W.J.Langholz »

We leave shortly for Idaho to look at a new to us airplane today :D :D :D

We hope the weather is good and will meet up with serveral TIC 170A members in the process. I don't know for sure what's the most exciting the plane or meeting someone you have only chatted with on this forum........both will be a day to remember for sure :D

Anyway the plane is white with "RED" stripes...lucking thing it still has training wheels and I no freakin 'NUT" either :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope to post some pics later...gotta go or I'll miss my flt. FSD to LWS (for bluelder) :)

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
blueldr

Re: Off to Idaho

Post by blueldr »

That was an ugly thing to do, Willie. I wont be able to sleep tonight wondering where you are and where you're going.
BL
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

All

We are back home and will be posting pictures soon. It was a very fun flight. We met up with Richard Pulley in Lewiston Idaho and he was our CFI on the way back, so John and I are now signed off on a U-206. What a blast we had. We wanted to meet up with Bill Ables too but the weather dictated we boogie so we were dodging rain all the way back. We spent Monday night with a freind in Laurel Mt. Then we made it home tonight just in time ......then the cloulds moved in at 300' AGL
I promise to post some pics in the next several days.

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Abe

Post by Abe »

Hey Willy,

Glad to hear you fellows had a good flight home...you got out just in time...just after you called boy did the skies open up here with some good snow and rain mixed...Enjoy your 206!!! Looks like I'll just have to take a short trip back to MN and see how you're treating that plane...Now that Mick is without a plane he's made me promise to take him into Minam Lodge for breakfast when they get up and going...Darn...
Bill
'52 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Congrats on the new bird, Dubya!

I imagine you rec'd some excellent input from our very talented RP, but allow me to offer a suggestion: I found my 206 was very easy on tires, brakes, and very happily performed soft-field/short-field as it's "everyday" habit. A bit of flaps on every takeoff and lifting the nosewheel's weight early-on gave very pleasing results, especially when light. I only rarely used standard takeoff/landing techniques with that airplane, usually only when actually loaded with more than 1,000 lbs of payloard or more.
I found that tires wore out quickly on pavement, until I resorted to the short/soft-field techniques. (This was not an alignment problem, it was only a discovery that tires wore out in 400 landings at big airports instead of 100, when the short/soft was regularly used. I think it was because the tires rolled only 1/3rd the distance. With my typical load of only one or two folks aboard, that airplane was a screamin' STOL-macheinin'.) :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Friends in Laurel MT? I met alot of the airport crowd when I was up there a few years back. Frank Felke is the only name I remember cause I do business with him, But I knew Denny Lynch well before he died a couple eyars back. Denny had to an emergency pit stop here in Mena with his "fire bomber" several years back, and we spent weeks together getting the old bird back flying.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Pictures, and tall tales Dubya??????

Congrats on the new bird.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005