Hello from New Member

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gparker

Re: Hello from New Member

Post by gparker »

Thanks to all for the hearty welcome and the warm wishes. I look forward to meeting you all soon. I have a pretty erratic schedule and I can't plan too far in advance, and long stretches of time off are hard to come by, so I might not make the convention this year. But I do plan on getting to Reklaw. I went two years ago but missed this last one. Sounds like it got a little frustrating and maybe even dangerous. Still, it is grassroots flying, which I love.

Looks like I am going to get the plane on April 16th. It is in Port Clinton Ohio. About the cheapest way I have figured out to get there is to fly Southwest from New Orleans to Cleveland, then get a limo from Cleveland to Port Clinton. Rental agencies wanted an arm and a leg for a one way rental from Cleveland. Looked into Greyhound, but it was not much less than the limo, and a U-Haul truck was more. At least I will arrive in style. I am going to take Dad with me for company. Looks like a three-legged trip back. Might be able to do it in two, but I don't want to stretch too far in an unfamiliar plane. Our bladders might need two stops anyway.

Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
gparker

Post by gparker »

Well, I used to be a serious flyer, and hope to become one again.
Thanks.
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Greg

Congrats on your new ride. I seriously looked at that airplane as well as the one I purchased. There are things I still prefer on 47D, I love the paint/polish. Enjoy it. I highly recommend you swing through Mena AR on your way home. The slight amount west from your direct track will be well worth it. Stop at Del Lehman's and introduce yourself. I did the same thing on the way home from IND to TX with mine. We talked about baggage door/ext baggage mod as well as a few other minor projects. Del is very knowledgeable about 170's and a true skillsman with them. You couldn't ask for a better person to do business with either. Enjoy the new bird. We may stop in in May to check it out as we are headed to Florida for a shuttle launch.

Jon "Jughead" Counsell
Del Rio, TX
55' B Model
N4497B
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Have had several thoughts about your trip in mind (even measured the distance west that you'd have to deviate) but have held back. First thought - throw a local meet at Gaston's. But on 2nd thought you might want to get used to your plane before landing at Gaston's. However if you were to go to Mena - stop in at Russellville KRUE. The new award winning FBO, has showers, sleeping room, courtesy car, great hospitality. Great place to hold over in bad weather. I'm going to fly to Gaston's, Mena, or Somewhere's, about then, so my plane doesn't forget who I am.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AR Dave wrote:... so my plane doesn't forget who I am.
It's been so long since we've seen you here at the Forums...... WE...have forgotten who you are! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Glad you're back, Dave!) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Fixing to graduate 2nd Child from High School - then 1st one from college (who got married last summer) - then 3rd one will follow - graduations, marriages, rent houses destroyed, ...... Uncle!!!!! :cry:
gparker

Post by gparker »

I flew over to Ron and Connie Massicot's strip yesterday for a visit. Great to meet such wonderful and friendly people. They welcomed me as if we had known each other for years. Beautiful home, strip, and plane as well.

Can't wait to meet everyone else.

Thanks Ron and Connie.

Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Greg, don't expect too much from the rest of us - you've already met the best of the best when you met Ron and Connie!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Greg did Ron show you that little gater he keeps tied up in his swamp to show us northerners? :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gparker

Post by gparker »

No, I didn't see the gator but something was stirring up the water in his pool!
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
azmuth1

Post by azmuth1 »

Welcome Greg,

This is my rookie year with my plane and this great group. Ask away...there are a lot of years of experience on this site and no one is shy on helping anyone out.
Stop by Effingham, 1H2 if you get a chance...I'm the only one without training wheels. :lol:

John