Just out of curiosity...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyguy

Re: Just out of curiosity...

Post by flyguy »

Brad Brady wrote:The highest I got dad's was 10,500 for a photo shoot, turned it 90 degrees for a topographical shot straight down,then twenty minutes to get back to 10,500 for the next shot :lol: .....Brad
Brad, this wasn't in my 170 but a similar photo shoot for the Chief Investigator for the local DA's office. There had been a shooting and the location where the shooter ditched the weapon was several miles distance. The Detective wanted to get a shot of both the location of the shooting and the ditched weapon site in one frame. I chose to use my C175 instead of the 170. We took the pax door off and headed for the stratosphere! Finally at 11500' he had the frames he wanted. The last 1000' of the climb took about 5 or 6 min and we nearly froze our butts off. I had the cabin heaters going full blast but it didn't make much difference with the door gone! I had previously flown that airplane at 13500' while bringing it home from Arizona to Louisiana and it was cozy as could be.

Although I have never used it, the previous owner had a small O2 pack in the cabin. Guess he planned trips way up there.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
tamarack

Post by tamarack »

What an interesting topic! My husband and I nursed our trusty 170B up to 14,900' to do some vertical photography of contruction on a road at a specified scale. We used portable oxygen. We lost almost 500' when I cracked open the passenger door to insert the camera mount. But we maneuvered around adequately and got the pictures at 14,500'.

Vickie
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

On February 20, 1977, I couxed my 170A N9027A up to a maximum altitude of 16,000 feet. I just checked my old log book for the exact date. I was determined to see how high it would go. As best I remember it took what seems like forever to get to 16,000 but it was actually still climbing very very very slowley at that altitude but I figured it was time to come down. The highest I ever had my 180 N92CP was a little over 14,000 feet, although it would easily go higher, on my Tehachapi 170 Convention trip. I don't recall what was the highest altitude airport that I have ever operated from.

Harold
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
arjedrine

Post by arjedrine »

I had my first flight last year when I visited two Asian countries. I was unlucky because I did not know the exact height of the plane from the land. But to tell you honestly, I was really scared when the plane started to take off. I felt I was running out of air, so the flight attendant helped me to wear my oxygen mask.