Tailwheel Steering Springs and Chain Kit x

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: Tailwheel Steering Springs and Chain Kit x

Post by c170b53 »

Ten.....
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

I try not to make a habit of dragging up old threads, but I did finally install the correct "heavy duty" springs and wanted to give an update as to my first impressions.

Basically, I now have more authority at the tailwheel during both taxi and landing roll-out (as expected). On taxiing, I previously had to use brakes all the time to initiate a change in direction. While I still need some application for sharper turns, I can at least effect some change on direction without brakes now. That's nice. :wink:

On landing roll-out, it does keep me a little bit more on my toes (figuratively speaking), but nothing drastic. Smaller inputs are required to keep it straight, no more full-travel stabs at the rudder pedals, which were occasionally required with the smaller springs under x-windy conditions.

I'm still getting used to the new setup, but first impressions are thus far positive. I'm glad I made the change.
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
azmuth1

Post by azmuth1 »

I'll jump in here, rookie and all...does the chain need to be snug with no weight on the wheel, or snug when it is on the ground with the plane weight. I noticed the chain tends to get real tight when the plane weight is off the wheel after I snug it with the plane weight on the wheel.

Another observation of the graphics shown. One has the spring attached to the rudder then the chain to the wheel. The other has the reverse. I do like the larger spring diameter in the rudder post instead of the fine wire wallering out the hole.

I haven't had issues with the light sping, I've had trouble with the chain streatching to a loose situation.

John
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Read this entire message-thread and all those answers will be found. :wink: (Well, except where the spring should be located. According to most, the springs were factory-installed at the upper end..but I think it hardly matters.)
Get the heavy duty springs!
The chains do not change tension when proper parts in good condition are used, regardless of whether the wheel is on the ground or not.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

Blue Leader is correct as it pertains to steering on the tarmac.

Larger aircraft such as C-185, have a locking tailwheel option available. This goes a long way in (Saving) the novice T/W driver. The use of brakes for turns and the occasional (Tap) during a crosswind take-off and landing works well.

Notice I mentioned "Tarmac". When operating on softer surfaces you might want to be up to speed on your T/W ops or you might end up "looking back at where you were" so to speak using those techniques.

I always rig to have some tention on the steering springs.

Spring is here, lets go do some flyin!!
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

Don't want to create any "tension" here by reviving this thread :roll: but I finally got around to installing the heavy Scott springs yesterday and here's what the instructions say regarding spring tension. "The chain should be trimmed so that there is no sag in the chain, spring, and connector link when installed, yet no tension on the spring. If necessary, slight tension on each spring is allowed. If slight tension is in the spring it should not be more than that which will allow a piece of paper to slide between the coils of the spring."

They didn't specify the thickness of the paper, but maybe we can debate that now! :twisted:

When I removed my springs, which had been installed with a fairly strong amount of tension (probably could have inserted four or five sheets of paper between the coils) I noticed that the curved arm on both springs had worn almost halfway through! 8O I don't know how many hours were on this set of springs, but I know it wasn't more than about 2000 as that's the total time on the airframe. I was pleasantly surprised to see no wear on the steering arms, just on the spring itself.

Just FWIW!
Former Caretaker of N4410B '55 170B
s/n: 26754