oil temp system

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

learjetpilot

oil temp system

Post by learjetpilot »

I have a c-145 engine. While flying my oil temp began to reduce to zero. Now there is no indication of oil temp. Is there a means of checking the system. If necessary, can a new temp probe/gage be had. Any comments will be appreciated.
3958v

Re: oil temp system

Post by 3958v »

The standard check for oil temperature gauges is to stick the probe from the engine in a pot of boiling water. If the gauge reads 212 then its fine otherwise you probably need a new gauge which will come as a complete unit with the probe and capillary tube attached. Its not that hard to change but its not on the list of things permitted for owners to do without an A&Ps oversight. The gauge is a Scott readily available from many sources such as Aircraft Spruce. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The oil temp gauge is constructed of a "bulb" of alcohol with a capillary tube which connects to a diaphragm/bourdon-tube gauge. As the oil heats the alcohol, it expands and applies pressure to the diaphragm which in-turn expands and moves the needle/movement within the gauge.
If the system develops a leak the alcohol leaks out and the gauge becomes inoperative with the meter-movement relaxing and leaving the needle on the lowest reading. This is what has happened to you. You need an entirely new Oil Temp gauge.

Get one from Aircraft Spruce:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... iltemp.php

OR:

Be certain to obtain the 5/8-18UNF x 5/8-18UNF adaptor which is sold with each, respective gauge, to fit your Continental.
(Avoids problems with potential leaks if you inadvertently have an existing adaptor which is not the latest type to match the gauge.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
53B

Post by 53B »

Cessna Service Kit SK182-108B provides a kit for the installation of an electric oil temp gauge that fits in the same hole as the original. It comes with everything you need except circuit protection and firewall sealant. It appears to cover all of the 170 series and early 172's as well as most other models that used the capillary type gauge. Unfortunately, the current list price is $455.77 from Cessna.
Happy Flying,

Mark
1958 Cessna 172 N9153B
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

gahorn wrote: Get one from Aircraft Spruce:

Be certain to obtain the 5/8-18UNF x 5/8-18UNF adaptor which is sold with each, respective gauge, to fit your Continental.
(Avoids problems with potential leaks if you inadvertently have an existing adaptor which is not the latest type to match the gauge.)
I purchased the one from aircraft spruce for my O-300 last Fall. P/N 10-11600 came as a complete set and did not require the additional adaptor. Fit perfectly and was a relatively easy installation.
--Josh
1950 170A