Bartone / Benham Exhuast Pics

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

53B

Re: Bartone / Benham Exhuast Pics

Post by 53B »

Hello Everyone,

I'm almost done with my engine overhaul and wanted to add the Bartone tail pipes during the engine installation. Pat Bartone is reluctant to sell me the pipes due to the difficulties of obtaining a field approval these days. I am pressing on with the field approval but could use a couple of pictures of the installed pipes to help my efforts with the FAA. All of the links to photos in this thread seem to be broken. A shot with the cowl on and off and maybe one with the cowl on but looking up into the cowl opening would be most appreciated. You can email me at msfullen AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks in advance!
Happy Flying,

Mark
1958 Cessna 172 N9153B
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

53B wrote:Hello Everyone,

I'm almost done with my engine overhaul and wanted to add the Bartone tail pipes during the engine installation. Pat Bartone is reluctant to sell me the pipes due to the difficulties of obtaining a field approval these days. I am pressing on with the field approval but could use a couple of pictures of the installed pipes to help my efforts with the FAA. All of the links to photos in this thread seem to be broken. A shot with the cowl on and off and maybe one with the cowl on but looking up into the cowl opening would be most appreciated. You can email me at msfullen AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks in advance!
Mark,
Let me check out the paper work we have on Dad's airplane....It is interesting...If I can, what I will do is scan the paperwork, send it to you and let you decide if it is what you want.....Brad
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

I'll take some pics in the next few days. I have the cowling off doing some other mx. Pulled the alternator off to replace the garlock and seals in it to eliminate a small oil leak through the drive.

Rick
N170MB
Rick
N170MB
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Rick,
I have been trying to send Mark a PM.....But since you need the info also I'll try to send it along in a simple post......It hasn't worked so far but here goes again.....Brad
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Well I have issues..My scanner sends every thing, to everyone else, but the 170 club (I'm over the max size) I need to figure it out and will send the info I have as soon as possable....Brad
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

53B wrote:Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Mark, Sorry about the broken links. My host server, Geocities, went away a few months ago, and I never fixed the links (way too many out there). We now have the ability to upload attachments directly to the forums, so I've gone back and done that for my pictures in this thread. Hope it helps.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
53B

Post by 53B »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of your efforts. I have what I need to move on with the approval process.
Happy Flying,

Mark
1958 Cessna 172 N9153B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Mark I applaud your determination to get an approval for the Bartone system but you do know that virtually the same system is available from Benham with an STC don't you. Bartone's parts might be cheaper, I don't know but by the time your done it might be better to pay for the Benham parts and STC.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
53B

Post by 53B »

Hi Bruce,

Sorry to hear of all your troubles as of late. I'm sure it will work out for the best. My problem with the Benham pipes is that I have a 172 and his STC is only good for the 170 series. I actually bought his STC and pipes a while back because I got some information that the STC actually included the early 172. When I received the documents, the 172 was added to the STC in pen, not actually printed on the document. Further research revealed that the STC does not include the 172 at least as far as the FAA is concerned so I returned the pipes and the documentation. I didn't want to pay the extra money and be in the same situation that I'm in now which is obtaining a field approval. I successfully obtained three field approvals in 2006 when I converted my 172 to conventional gear although it did take me six weeks and alot of phone calls. There's not much to do here in the winter anyway so I'll at least be busy.

Thanks for trying to help!
Happy Flying,

Mark
1958 Cessna 172 N9153B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I should have looked at your avatar and realized you have a 172. Good luck with the field approval.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

53B wrote:...My problem with the Benham pipes is that I have a 172 and his STC is only good for the 170 series. I actually bought his STC and pipes a while back because I got some information that the STC actually included the early 172. When I received the documents, the 172 was added to the STC in pen, not actually printed on the document. Further research revealed that the STC does not include the 172 at least as far as the FAA is concerned ...
Did you ever receive an explanation for the handwritten alteration to the paperwork?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
53B

Post by 53B »

Hi George,

I didn't press the issue very hard since I got my money back with no problem and the botton line was that the installation was not STC'd for the 172. I was told that the early 172's were essentially the same as the later 170's and that the installation would be the same so there would be no problem since the installation was approved for the 170 already. I specifically asked if the 172 was listed on the STC when I placed the order and I believe that is what prompted the handwritten addition. I don't mean to cause any problems for the STC holder but the 172 is not legally covered by the STC.
Happy Flying,

Mark
1958 Cessna 172 N9153B
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

N9149A wrote:Mark I applaud your determination to get an approval for the Bartone system but you do know that virtually the same system is available from Benham with an STC don't you. Bartone's parts might be cheaper, I don't know but by the time your done it might be better to pay for the Benham parts and STC.
Bruce,
I don't think there is much difference price from the Benham and the Bartone exhaust except the STC....By the time you spend time on a field approval, they are about the same. I just like the rake on the end of the Bartone Better...Brad
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

Pics as promised, finally made it out to the hangar.

Rick
N170MB
Rick
N170MB
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Rick,
Our installation of the Bartone is somewhat different. as soon as I can I will send pics. We have a different attach point, and we moved the gascolator more to the center. As I said I will send pics......Brad