ELT location?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rydfly

ELT location?

Post by rydfly »

So while we're in the middle of installing new rear windows in our 170B, we're also planning to relocate the ELT. Currently, it's mounted just behind the left rear door post, which makes it EXTREMELY difficult to install/remove the rear bench seat - hence the window replacement... (oops!) , and also puts it within reach of our 2-yr old daughter (who likes to flip switches 8O )

I'm curious to hear where you folks have your own ELT's mounted. We're likely going to put it along the left-side baggage compartment wall, but that will require some fabrication to give it a solid mounting point. Another possible spot we discussed was under the rear bench mounted to the floor somehow.

This is the model I have.

http://www.emergencybeaconcorp.com/prod ... ?prodid=26

Any thoughts? Also, is there an easy way to install remove the rear bench? Every time it's come in or out, it becomes a wrestling match... if I actually had wall panels worth taking care of, I'd be in real trouble!

Thanks,

-Kennet
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
GAHorn

Re: ELT location?

Post by GAHorn »

Hello, Kennet!
The EBC ELT is one of the early "standards" due to it's simple installation. It also has the advantage of being readily accessible for activation and/or carriage with you in case you abandon an aircraft. I always liked the simplicity of that unit.

Here's some of the disadvantages of that unit:
1- They are down-right argumentative about buying ONLY their battery replacement. (to the point of being insulting, even. If you don't buy THEIR battery...they attempt intimidation. I had a friend who they threatened to report to the FSDO if they used anything but their TSO'd unit. (which was ridiculously priced.)

2- Their mounting can damage the aircraft interior. (One way which you've discovered, but there are other ways also. Then if/when the unit is removed, the mounting location must be re-upholstered to repair the area.)

3- Their antenna is not replaceable and is not external. Therefore it's transmitting range, even in the best situation, is quite limited compared to other units. In an upside-down or partially submerged aircraft it is worse. (Their claim of 1200+ miles broadcasting range is based upon satellite observation which has been discontinued. The best that may be hoped for is line-of-sight form a broadcasting position that is typically blocked by aircraft structure.)

Here's my suggestion for a new location: Mount it alongside the FRONT seat sidewalls with the antenna following up the windshield sides. That way it will have a greater view of the sky for broadcast, will be away from the rear seat daughter-sitting-area, and will be readily availble to the pilot should he/she desire to activate it manually.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I have the same ELT in my Cub. I like it for it's simplicity as George noted. And George is also correct about it's limitations. My Narco 10 ELT is located in the left wall of the baggage This works OK till you start loading that compartment.

If I were you I'd do what George suggests and try to mount it on the pilot or copilot sidewall were it can easily be accessed and inspected.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I got rid of my EBC ELT because of the mounting restrictions and replaced it with a AmeriKing AK450 ($189). I mounted behind the baggage compartment bulkhead on the old radio rack and it uses an external whip antenna and has a panel mounted control unit. I think I've paid for it in battery savings as this unit uses standard Alkaline D cells that legally are good for about 7 years (I usually swap mine out annually and put them to other uses). I your feeling rich you can get there new 406MHz satellite unit for $789.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL