Spring gear leg fairings? / AV10

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

kmisegades

Spring gear leg fairings? / AV10

Post by kmisegades »

Does anyone make an aerodynamic fairing for spring steel landing gear legs found on older Cessnas like our C170s?

There were quite a few C170s at AirVenture this year, but parked randomly. What would it take to get a few rows reserved in Vintage like those C-195 drivers always have?

Kent
regards,

Kent Misegades
N2758D 1952 C-170B
mod cessna

Re: Spring gear leg fairings? / AV10

Post by mod cessna »

Yes they are made, but not for the 170. It is STCd for the 180/185. Maybe you could get it field approved.
http://www.shopknots2u.com/store.php?cr ... how_detail

Edit - Found their home page. http://www.sniderspeedkit.com/default.asp
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

One of the beautiful things about the design of the leaf-spring main gear (Steve Wittman gear) is that is has such low drag. I wouldn't imagine that fairing them would do anything but make them difficult to inspect.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
kmisegades

Post by kmisegades »

Yes, they are low compared to what came before, but they are much worse than the nicely faired legs one finds today on Cirrus, RVs, etc. Of course, when you're flying slow this really doesn't matter all that much, I was just curious to know if anyone had ever thought of this.

Sure wish we could have a reserved row or two at AirVenture for C170s. I suspect there were far more C170s there than C195s, but those guys get a prominent placement each year in vintage.

Kent
regards,

Kent Misegades
N2758D 1952 C-170B
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

kmisegades wrote: Sure wish we could have a reserved row or two at AirVenture for C170s. I suspect there were far more C170s there than C195s, but those guys get a prominent placement each year in vintage.

Kent
Since I belong to both the C-170 and C-195 clubs, I have a little history on Oshkosh. In about 2002 one guy, John Barron made the effort to get a designated area in the Classic Camping area for the 195s. He has been the contact since then and is the only reason the spots are reserved. The spots are only reserved until Monday and if not filled are given away to first-come-first-served airplanes of any make. So it is great to see all the 195s in one area but it does take effort and enough planes have to arrive early to hold the spots. If someone in the 170 club wants to take on that job, contact John Barron at http://www.barronaviation.com/ and he can tell you how to do it. It has less to do with the airplane and more to do with someone putting forth the effort to get it done. I agree it really would be good to have the 170s next to the 195s.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
kmisegades

Post by kmisegades »

Thanks Richard. I will contact him. I generally arrive on Saturday or Sunday and spend the entire week at AirVenture, working as a writer for Sport Aviation. Let's see where we can go with this. Kent
regards,

Kent Misegades
N2758D 1952 C-170B
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

You're welcome, Kent. Talking with John will be a pleasure. His comments mostly dealt with there was a whole lot of talking required to get things lined-out and a couple of years for the EAA folks to get used to another new group. But now the 195s are a fixture and its a lot easier every year.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
kmisegades

Post by kmisegades »

I am optimistic that we can pull something together by AV10 if we start now. I have a call in to John Barrows and know many of the movers-and-shakers up in Oshkosh should we need to pull some strings. It sure was great seeing three Bobcats in a row this year. Kent
regards,

Kent Misegades
N2758D 1952 C-170B
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

kmisegades wrote:Does anyone make an aerodynamic fairing for spring steel landing gear legs found on older Cessnas like our C170s?

Kent
IMHO any improvement in performance from such a modification on a low powered aircraft like a 170 will be the result of your wallet being that much lighter from having purchased them. :D Personally, I would want to inspect my brakes before every flight.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you use the Rapco brand of brake linings, you will find a "wear indicator" which, when worn-through, indicates that brake linings should be replaced. (Normal replacement guideline: .100 in.)

Not only will continued-use beyond the minimum cause damage to the disc's due to rivet-contact with the disc... it may also cause the loss of the lining and resultant loss of all braking capability. If that friction-lining departs the backing-plate, although the pilot will still have a firm "pedal" in the cockpit...the airplane will seem to actually "pick up speed" as all friction is lost.
click to ENLARGE
click to ENLARGE
Cleveland - Minimum Brake Lining Wear
Cleveland - Minimum Brake Lining Wear
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George what did you last post about brake linings have to do with this thread. Did you intend to put that otherwise excellent pot here?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N9149A wrote:George what did you last post about brake linings have to do with this thread. Did you intend to put that otherwise excellent pot here?
Just checking to see if Miles was still sober. :wink:

Actually it was in response to the previous post:
N2865C wrote:
kmisegades wrote:... Personally, I would want to inspect my brakes before every flight.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

deleted by the author
Last edited by cessna170bdriver on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote:
N9149A wrote:George what did you last post about brake linings have to do with this thread. Did you intend to put that otherwise excellent pot here?
Just checking to see if Miles was still sober. :wink:

Actually it was in response to the previous post:
N2865C wrote:
kmisegades wrote:... Personally, I would want to inspect my brakes before every flight.
I saw that quick comment but didn't think it warranted such detailed information. I probably would have said "yep I like to check my brakes as well". I figured Ol Gar was over visiting and you were keeping one eye on the St Pauli Girl and using the other to click on threads. And in doing so you picked the wrong thread.

That's cool information which probably should be posted under a more suitable heading as well. Either that or we will all have to remember to think spring gear leg fairings when we want information on brake lining. :?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N9149A wrote:..I saw that quick comment but didn't think it warranted such detailed information. I probably would have said "yep I like to check my brakes as well". I figured Ol Gar was over visiting and you were keeping one eye on the St Pauli Girl and using the other to click on threads. And in doing so you picked the wrong thread.

That's cool information which probably should be posted under a more suitable heading as well. Either that or we will all have to remember to think spring gear leg fairings when we want information on brake lining. :?
I'm sorry to have posted anything remotely useful into a casual conversation. I'll try not to do that again. :wink: