windshield issues

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

trake

windshield issues

Post by trake »

At some point before I bought my plane the original windshield was replaced with a so-called one piece windshield. I dont think it was installed correctly. Appears to be slightly crooked as it affects the manner in which the wing root fairing fits on the right wing . Anybody seen this? Is it safe?
Also
Has anyone gone back to the original style windshield? I figure theres more involved than just reinstalling a center strap since the "one-piece" windshield is thicker than the original.
thanks for your comments
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
wingnut

Re: windshield issues

Post by wingnut »

We just installed a Cee Baileys strapless windshield, It required a lot more trimming/fitting than any other brand I've ever installed. It's important that the wing leading edges and the cuff area of the windshield lines up good, or the fairing will not fit and/or you'll have air and water leaks. You should be able to re-fit the same glass if you have enough material. Sounds like it just wasn't trimmed to fit right the first time.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
c170b53

Re: windshield issues

Post by c170b53 »

As previously mentioned the trim requires the wings to be on to line up the leading edges. I replaced my windshield and had to put the wings back on before paint to line things up. I got lazy and only put on one wing and the windshield fitted perfectly so I guess you know where this story is going. Is it problem that it doesn't line up perfectly? Not really unless you're going for the best airplane category but you'll be forced to make provisions to seal it about the wing root fairings. If the windshield has been there for awhile and its not cracked anywhere the fit can't be that bad. If you want to make it right, you must determine whether you can remove the windshield without damaging it and if you decide to replace it, you must determine the method in which the windshield was secured. The original windshield slipped into a U shaped channel forward of the front spar and was retained in position by the the lower lip and the centre strap that divided the single piece window. The new "one piece" window installation uses a u shaped channel on the top that has a lip that retains the window by grabbing the "doubler" strip fixed to the windshield's top inside edge. Depending on the window manufacturer that doubler is bonded to the window or retained to the window by nylon screws. The latter installation allows for removal of the window without removing the retaining channel, the bonded type requires removal of the channel. I believe the Cee-B windshield utilizes the doubler strip with the nylon screws, can you confirm that Del?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS