avcon 180 performance stats

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wwingsong

avcon 180 performance stats

Post by wwingsong »

Hi, I just sold my pa 12 -150 and am buying a 1950 Cessna 170 with a avcon 180 conversion and cannot seem to find any performance stats, anyone give me a steer? Thanks from Minnesnowda
GAHorn

Re: avcon 180 performance stats

Post by GAHorn »

You can use the search routine to find other discussion threads on this subject, but I believe you'll come up wanting. Here's a msg I posted about the subject:

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 835#p16835
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Unfortunately (or Fortunately, depending how you prefer to look at it) the C-170 is something less than a high performance airplane, notwithstanding the various types of engines that may have been installed over its long service life.
On almost all the airplanes I've observed there is , somewhere on the panel, or nearby, a knob attached to a bowden control terminating on the carburetor throttle arm.
This knob, when pushed forward in flight, increases engine noise, makes the airplane climb, or go faster.
Inversely, when this knob is pulled back, engine noise is reduced (sometimes drastically), the airplane slows down and has a tendancy to fallout of the sky.
From my extensive experience, forget all that other paper work such as POHs, TDCSs etc.. The above is all you really need to know to successfully fly the Cessna C-170 series airplanes.
BL
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

blueldr wrote:Unfortunately (or Fortunately, depending how you prefer to look at it) the C-170 is something less than a high performance airplane, notwithstanding the various types of engines that may have been installed over its long service life.
On almost all the airplanes I've observed there is , somewhere on the panel, or nearby, a knob attached to a bowden control terminating on the carburetor throttle arm.
This knob, when pushed forward in flight, increases engine noise, makes the airplane climb, or go faster.
Inversely, when this knob is pulled back, engine noise is reduced (sometimes drastically), the airplane slows down and has a tendancy to fallout of the sky.
From my extensive experience, forget all that other paper work such as POHs, TDCSs etc.. The above is all you really need to know to successfully fly the Cessna C-170 series airplanes.
MY ESP RIENC - - The wheel (stik) has lots to do with that too - - YA KNOW! Pull back to go up - -Pull way back to GO DOWN RAPIDLY!
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you're looking to purchase anything with the Avcon conversions, make certain it has the complete paperwork for the modification including STC document, Form 337, and installation instructions. (This is actually important for any STC, but particularly so for Avcon as those folks (Williams/Udall) do not enjoy a reputation for responsiveness or support.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
trake

Post by trake »

Its gonna be virtually identical to a 1963 Cessna P172D 'Skyhawk Powermatic' which had the geared 175 HP Continental engine and a CS prop. A google search might turn something up.
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D