Incredible landings...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Incredible landings...

Post by GAHorn »

I don't know if any of you saw the video that someone posted the other day in which a RC model aircraft was flying and lost a wing....and the RC radio operator was able to get it on the ground without crashing, flying with a wing completely missing.

That was impresive flying, and his joy at saving his model airplane was evident.

But take a look at this, and compare to see what you think:

http://www.chilloutzone.de/files/08102703.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Re: Incredible landings...

Post by cessna170bdriver »

George,

I just received this email myself, and was about to post it when I noticed that you already had. An AWESOME display of airmanship!

Miles
Last edited by cessna170bdriver on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

What incredible airmanship! The guy has plastic kahonies! :oops:
Last edited by n2582d on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
dacker

Post by dacker »

C'mon guys... you've all been around long enough to know BS when you see it! Does that really look like a real airplane landing to you? Do a search on the name of the airplane (Killathrill). The other obvious hint is the guy immediately yelling out "Where's his right wing?" as if he could tell that quickly. Sorry to sink your new hero. :roll:
David
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

dacker wrote:C'mon guys... "Where's his right wing?" :roll: David
WINGONE ! ! At first I thought it "might" be BS but if you "full-screen" the video and go frame at a time it is very plausible! Most of the AKROS or Sukois can hang on the prop so it isn't beyond the realm of possibility at all for him to make that "high pucker" landing. I just wonder how he kept it from going on it's nose.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Personally, I believe it is a fake. My primary reason is that the actual touchdown has the appearance of an object too lightweight to make that transition without greater rebound-landing gear flex/failure. The secondary reason is the manner in which the wing leaves the aircraft so cleanly without debris, as if it were a miniature object. It's revealing that the pilot does not wear a helmet or headset. I don't know of any performers these days that don't wear helmets and/or headsets.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I have studied the clip several times and I believe it is real............

A real airplane in the first and last sections of the clip and a real RC scale model of the real airplane in the middle of the clip from where the wing separates until just after the landing.

The landing is obviously a model as George pointed out because it bounces too quickly and almost immediately comes to a stop indicating very little mass. A real airplane making a landing approach like that (as if it could actually be done to start with) would have to be flying well over 100mph and would not stop on the third bounce, at least not in one piece.

The real skill in that clip is the editing done by someone who spliced together the real plane flying and the RC model wing breaking off thru landing. It has fooled a lot of folks. Nicely done though and the RC pilot obviously knew what he was doing too.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
dacker

Post by dacker »

As a side note, I have seen Sean Tucker's maneuver where he makes a pass hanging on his prop... pretty incredible! But he has both wings and is cranking out an enormous amount of horsepower from his "highly modified Pitts" (I believe he is flying something else now but I'm not sure).
Some guys were talking about this clip at the airport today... I burst their bubble also. This should be a lesson to all of us... you can't believe anything that is on the internet without substantiating it first!
David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

dacker wrote:... This should be a lesson to all of us... you can't believe anything that is on the internet without substantiating it first!
David
FINISHED93D.JPG

HansonPaint-1.jpg
dacker

Post by dacker »

Definitely not real! No one can paint lines that straight after drinking that much beer! Was that Pabst Blue Ribbon blue someone photoshopped onto that airplane? :lol:
David
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

flyguy

Post by flyguy »

dacker wrote:Definitely not real! No one can paint lines that straight after drinking that much beer! Was that Pabst Blue Ribbon blue someone photoshopped onto that airplane? :lol:
David
AW RITE U OLE PALS I DOANT GOTS NO FOTOSHOP AN I WUZ REEL HANNICAP WITH MY TEETOTALLER FREN SO ONLIEST BEER IS WUZ ABLE TU SNUK WUZ AFER HESA GONE HOME. THEM LINES IS STRATE AN TRUE EVEN WITH SOBER GENTS WORKIN ON EM I JUS WISHT IT RUN AS SWEET AS IT LOOK - - SO FAR - I AINT FLUE IT EENY YET BUT IMA CREEPIN UP ON IT.

BTW I GOT THIS EMAIL FROM ABOUT 5 DIFFERENT PEOPLE - - SOME NOT EVEN AVIATORS. IT DOES LOOK SO REALISTIC BUT THERE IS DEFINATILY SOME DIDDLE WIT IT!
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
dacker

Post by dacker »

Yeah, a dentist friend sent it to me today. It is definitely making the rounds!
Ole Gar, is that the same 170 you had on floats, and did you photoshop the wheels onto it?
She is definitely looking good from those pictures... personally I would have gone with green though! :)
David