Original markings

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

CF-HEW

Original markings

Post by CF-HEW »

Well I have decided to leave my beloved B model in the hands of a professional aircraft paint shop. Gone will be the polished aluminum look and in with a fully painted aircraft. It was too much work to keep up for a floatplane that's never seen the inside of a hangar. I do want to keep the original look as much as possible so the stripes will keep the same pattern on a white base. I also want to pay attention to detail so I was wondering where cessna originally put the registration markings. On the tail or the side of the fuselage? Also, the C170 decals. Where do they go? I know the trim was insignia red but were both stripes insignia red or was one of them a different color? Any insight, suggestions, or comments are welcome. Thanks.

Alex
'53B
Alex Gloutney
'53 B model s/n 25901
GAHorn

Re: Original markings

Post by GAHorn »

The registration was on the bottom of the left wing, the top of the right wing, and 2" on the tail. All were in the same color.
Attachments
tailnumber.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
trake

Post by trake »

the paint scheme on the float plane is very close to the factory 1956 scheme [ the tail design is slightly different]
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
CF-HEW

Post by CF-HEW »

I believe it is the original '53 scheme. It was just painted over with the blue. The original red is still visible underneath in some spots. I just don't know where the decals went and which way they go. I see on George's pic that the bird faces backwards. I have seen them both ways. Also I have a choice between Jet glo and alumigrip paint.
Alex Gloutney
'53 B model s/n 25901
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Tracy is correct that is very close to a '56 paint scheme. George's is a good reference for an original '53 paint scheme.

Depending on how original you want to get, you can order the blueprints from Cessna for most of the 170 paint schemes.

Tail numbers are 2 inch on the tail and 20 inch military block on the wings positioned as George pointed out..
Doug
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

As far as the bird facing backwards,Cessna used the same stencil for left and right side of the fin.On the right side it faces forward.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here's another view of the '53 scheme, with the previous owner (and the guy who did the actual restoration) Bill Goebel, flying it.
Attachments
146YSinflt.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The Association has drawing 0500013 the main drawing giving dimensions and placement for the 53 paint scheme. Looking at it I see you will also need 0500018-1 for the 170 stencil on the door, 0500018-2 for the 170 Cessna with bird stencil for the tail. It also says to refer to 0400115 for location and size of the registration numbers.

We also have drawing 0500015 which is the main drawing for the 54 paint scheme. Other drawings mentioned on this drawing you will need are 0500016 for the One Seventy on the side of the cowl. 0300114 for the Cessna name stencil for the dorsal area as well as the bird stencil on the vertical stabilizer. 0400115 is used fro the placement ans size of the registration numbers.

If you are doing a B model serial 26996 or later we have drawing 0500025. This drawing shows the overall scheme but with no dimensions. It specifically shows the placement of the "R" (Registered trade mark) in black on the side of the aircraft. (Jim W., I'll be checking yours closely next time I judge it. :) )
This drawing mentions others you will need for this serial number and after and they are 0500027-1 for the Cessna side lettering, 0500026-1 and 0500026 for some kind of insignia on the side of the fuselage tail cone and lat but not least 0500030 for the "R" (registered trade mark) that Jim Wildharber better have.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

:P :P :P No worry Bruce. My plane is serial no. 26958 and the registration numbers size and locations are correct. :wink: This was confirmed by several (not to mention their names) members with the initials of T.B., R.M., and C.B. The pictures on file with the association also helped. 8) . Thanks S. G. :!:

However, relative to your planes history, I don't think anyone can ever reconstruct which year model paint scheme and registration locations are correct :lol: :lol: :lol: Once a rat plane always a rat plane....... :wink:
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

jlwild wrote: This was confirmed by several (not to mention their names) members with the initials of T.B., R.M., and C.B. The pictures on file with the association also helped. 8) .
Well. If it were only T.B and R.M. I might get out the ruler but since C.B is involved I'll go after other easier targets. I saw a Red polished '53 at Branson. I could go over instead. It was mostly original, probably for all the right reasons you know. The owner even had that 10 year no polish patina going to distract the critical eye. :D Of course it is obviously nothing like the pictures of the Blue polished bird I've seen pictures of that's suppose to be somewhere in Louisiana. Now if that Blue one ever gets to a convention the judges pick for number one is gone to be pretty easy.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com