Petit Jean 2008 April 25 & 26

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Re: Petit Jean 2008 April 25 & 26

Post by Harold Holiman »

Hi Dave and all,

Since the motorhomes were going to have to stay across the lake this year, we have decided to stay in the lodge and went ahead and made our lodge reservations today. Looking forward to seeing all there.

Harold & Carolyn
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Well this is the Quitest Petit Jean Crowd Ever! 8) This will be the 5th Annual Petit Jean! Just about everyone, including Traci & I, know what to expect! It's gotten so automatic that I called the lodge to find out if anyone's coming! HELLO! :lol:

Crawford, Bickford, Coats, Pulley, Helgeson, Wildharber, Massicot, Hanson, Renwick, Fogarty, Holiman, Race, Lynn, Hart, Stephenson, Taylor, Hoffman, Collins, Peck, Huckins, Laseter, Wood, Etzold, Bengston, Taylor, Culbert

So I'm putting a head count together for Steve's Chowder and Traci's everything. Did someone make an announcement down in Tex this weekend? Had 3 Texans leave messages yesterday! BTW, Traci says we are also having Beef. We put up one of the best tasting steers I've ever eaten, last week.

My concern is that Petit Jean might be slipping under the radar of new folks, since we are so layed back about it.
Last edited by AR Dave on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Hi Dave,

You mentioned my stopping at Gaston’s on the way down but I will be taking a more easterly path coming to Petit Jean (MPJ). I plan to basically follow the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains to Asheville then come across Tennessee by Memphis and Little Rock.
For the fun of it here is the tentative route:
First Leg:
6 AM Sunday 4/20
Spencer MA (60M) by Bradley CT (BDL) to Carmel CT VOR (CMK) to Sparta NJ VOR (SAX) stopping in the Reading PA (RDG) Lancaster PA (LNS) area for fuel and a break.
Leg Two:
Lancaster PA to Westminster MD VOR (EMI) threading just north of Washington DC airspace and south of Camp David (P40) restricted area by going to Fredrick MD VOR (FDK) to Martinsburg WV VOR (MRB) to Winchester VA (OKV) or Fort Royal VA (FRR) for fuel.
Leg Three:
From Fort Royal I will follow the eastern edge of the mountains down past Montbello VA VOR (MOL) to Lynchburg VA (LYH) or Roanoke VA (ROA) for fuel and probable overnight.

Day Two Leg Four:
Continue following the eastern ridge of mountains, there’s not much else along this leg, to Asheville NC (AVL) or Transylvania NC (22W) for fuel.
Leg Five: – This is the leg that I consider the toughest. I plan to get advice from area pilots or an instructor in the Asheville area before starting this one.
About 30 miles south west of Asheville, still along the eastern ridge of he mountains, is a river valley that goes into the mountains by Jackson County NC (24A) the hooks west by Sossamon private airport and out to the Calderwood Dam. This is all basically through the middle of the Snowbird MOA that has a floor that is higher than I plan to fly. Just want get an idea of what to expect along this leg or if I should consider some alternative route. After the dam I will go direct to Abernathy TN (GZS) or Lawrenceburg TN (2M2) for fuel.
Leg Six:
Lawrenceburg direct to the Memphis TN area. Olive Branch (OLV), Gen. Dewitt Spain (M01), or West Memphis (AWM) for an overnight and to look for some great Barbeque and try some local beer.

Day Three Leg Seven:
If it really is day three I will stop and spend a day in Little Rock AR. I don't see any public airports close to the city though. Any sugestions?

Day Four:
Memphis or Little Rock area direct to Petit Jean AR (MPJ).

All of the above subject to good weather each day.

SteveF
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Steve,

I envy you the trip... :twisted: Have a great time. "Someday" I'll ge the time freed up to get down there... :evil:
Doug
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I've been updating the list all day - getting emails and phone messages.

Steve, I don't know nothing about the Northeast! Bruce?

I know I don't like Little Rock though (just not a City Person)! However, North Little Rock has a low traffic airport that I've driven up too. MPJ is only 20 mins further - skip Little Rock. Ole Pokey maybe we need to meet him at Gaston's to get him there? 8)

Picture of Gastons -

170C

Post by 170C »

For those of you coming in to Petit Jean, you might want to check your internet for AIRNAV & see what the fuel prices are. As of 4-6-08 the following ones in the area were: Morrilton BDQ (just down the mountain from PJ) $4.46; Russellville (RUE (Dave's base) $4.50; Clinton CCA $4.28; Clarksville H35 $4.32; Booneville 4M2 $4.35 & Danville 32A $4.35; Little Rock-Adams LIT $5.37; North Little Rock ORK $4.49; Searcy M07 44.38 & Heber Springs HBZ $4.32. ie: there is no under $4.00/gallon gas in the PJ area. You might be able to find other locations with as good as these.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
David Bengtson

Post by David Bengtson »

Dave, thanks for the Email heads up on Petit Jean dates. We have been envolved with family medical issues and completely slipped our minds. Got right on the phone and by some miracle found a returned room at the lodge so Ruth & I will be there if Wx is flyable. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Dave Bengtson
BengFly
56 170B N3496D SN 27039
S&G Lynn

Post by S&G Lynn »

WOW! I can't believe we are just a couple of weeks away from the best fly-in around. I am already getting the camping gear out and checking for the tent poles. It's great to see so many names on the list, and I sure look forward to seeing everyone again. I know of a few folks that can't make it this year due to schedules, and will miss seeing them. I have my order in for good weather, cause drivin in just isn't the same for me. There is just something about kicking back by the fire (with or without a beer) and seeing the moon shining off the tops of 170's, and then waking up in the morning to the sound of Canada geese, bull frogs, and fog shrouding our rides in the first sunlight of the day.

Don't forget your cameras for the waterfall and the overlooks.

I can't wait.

Scott & Ginger
pojawis

Post by pojawis »

SteveF

I'm based at W05, Gettysburg, PA and negotiate the P40 airspace all too often. If I were coming in from LNS (Lancaster), I'd target the Saint Thomas VOR (THS), then turn Southward to Front Royal (FRR). This keeps you well out of P40, regardless of its status (normal or enlarged). If you like the airport - to - airport thing better, substitute Hagerstown (HGR) for Saint Thomas; just be aware that this brings you a bit closer to an enlarged P40, although still a safe distance away. Stay in the valley (don't cross the hills) until you get to HGR, and you'll be just fine.

OKV is a dandy airport with some nice amenities. FRR is a small, country airport with friendly folks.

Let me know when you're in the area and, if you have the time and want to stop at W05 or DMW or HGR, I could bring you lunch. Potluck, of course.
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Pojawis

Thanks for the advice!

After looking at your suggestions I am going to go to the St. Thomas VOR from Lancaster then down to Winchester and Front Royal. It adds about 25 miles and keeps me well clear of P40 and the ADIZ. I am leaning toward FRR as a second fuel stop.

Thanks for the offer to meet and share some food. I will pass because it will be mid-day and if I can get further south I want to push on. Ultimately if I could get to Asheville on day one I would be thrilled but would be happy to make Roanoke. Should I only get as far as the Gettysburg area then I will definitely let you know I am in the area.

SteveF
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

That is really a long trip!
You'd think we could get some 170's from Tenn, Kentucky, Etc., to tag along!
Tom Race will be coming from Memphis!

Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

You guys are killing me! That green grass of Gastons, all that talk about food, Ranger Scott's guided foot tours, a gaggle of airplanes coming from MN...darn, sure hate the fact that we won't be there. :evil:

Just too darn many committments and one in particular that we can't get out of. To make matters worse, we've still got winter going on here in MN and we'd love to go south and enjoy SPRING!

Sure hope that the TX contingency comes out of their shells and shows up.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Lodge / Cabins - Crawford, Bickford, Coats, Pulley, Helgeson, Wildharber, Massicot, Hanson, Renwick, Holiman, Stephenson, Hoffman, Peck, Huckins, Laseter, Wood, Bengston
Camping - Fogarty, Race, Lynn, Hart, Taylor, Collins, Peck, Etzold, Culbert, Barrett

Lodge just called me and verified Lodge/Cabin List.

Kyle, does Becky have to stay home also? :cry:
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Unfortunately, yes.... :cry:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

To make matters worse, we've still got winter going on here in MN and we'd love to go south and enjoy SPRING!
I hear you there. We are under another winter storm warning with another 6" of @#%$# snow expected tonight (along with winds). I am thinking that those that are going, if you could park facing south and all do a run up at the same time maybe you could push some warm weather up north - kind of like a butterfly effect. Would that be then called a 170 effect? I hope everyone has a good time. I wish we could have made it. Karen is sooo due for a vacation/break.

Paul
Paul
N3458D