Fuel Selector Placard

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

kmisegades

Fuel Selector Placard

Post by kmisegades »

I just installed the AMC Fuel Selector (A/C Spruce P/N 05-00899) in my 1952 C170B. The old one was barely legible. The AMC unit is a single piece, matt black, with silver engraved lettering. Very nice and easy to install. HOWEVER - on the new placard, the following warning not on the original placard appears "Switch to single tank selection immediately upon reaching 5,000' or higher" or something to that effect. The placard is the same for 170s and 172s. This is the first I have heard of the need to switch to L or R instead of BOTH at higher than 5,000'. Can anyone comment? I have on occasion seen the left tank drain quicker than the right tank, but not necessarily at higher altitudes (our local elevation here in central NC is about 500'). And no I do not fly left wing low. Can anyone comment on this. Many thanks, this forum is invaluable to me. Kent in Raleigh, NC.
regards,

Kent Misegades
N2758D 1952 C-170B
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

That's one of those generic "170/172" items. That placard does not apply to the 170 (see the TCDS for all applicvable placards). The easiest thing to do is keep your original plate and buy the placard kit from Moody (or similar sources). They have the individual placards that fit in the quarter-round sectors on the selector plate.

Or, just make your own and stick them on.
Doug