Johnson Creek

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Johnson Creek

Post by Robert Eilers »

My friend, who owns a nice 180, and I are talking about a trip to Johnson Creek this summer and maybe Cavanaugh Bay - he in his 180 and me in my 170. I was planning on June or July, but I know there are members out there who are much more familiar with Johnson Creek than I. I'd appreciate any suggestions about when might be the best time to go - I know there are groups that go into Johnson Creek every Summer. I would like to avoid them if I can.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Robert,
As you stated, JC is a busy place. I've gotten to know it over the past 2-years and the earlier the better. There is allot of use on any flyable weekend (Fri - Sun). It's amazing how many pilots and pilot groups base at JC and then hit the many other strips on day trips. We appear to be getting a normal snow pack this winter finally, which will push the use period back into mid to late June. Then there is the fire season starting about mid July (it pretty much shut most of Idaho's backcountry strips down most of last summer). Late June or early July during the week may fit your bill IMHO. I'm about 80 minutes NW of JC here at 8S4 so if you need anything call or stop by.
Bill
'52 170B
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Abe - thanks for the info. Pretty much what I expected. I have been monitoring the JC web cam - does anyone in Idaho go in and out of the Mtn strips on skis during the Winter?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Johnson Creek Airport (3U2) is normally opened just before Memorial Day.
The "Airport", of course, is always open. I'm referring to the campground facilities.
The caretaker/hosts this year will be Paul and Bev Sunderlin from Bend, OR.
BL
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

Use this link to see the conditions at Johnson Creek

http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~yellowpinecm/
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

I know there are groups that go into Johnson Creek every Summer. I would like to avoid them if I can.
I understand wanting solitude but check these guys out. You could go to this fly in or just ask questions. Several of these pilots frequent Johnson Creek and this site already has threads from past fly ins with tips for flying in there.

http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/p ... php?t=1754

I would like to go but June/July is very busy for me. Tough for me to plan on going but you never know.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I flew for Mississippi to Idaho August 2006. I used Cavanuagh Bay as home camp and flew to a few other areas while there. Cav Bay(66S) is a bit of paradise. The caretaker/host is Allen and he is very helpful and offered wonderful northern hospitality. Helped unload the plane and carry gear the short distance to campsite. Then delivered firewood and also makes hot coffee at dawn.
We really liked the place. There is a Marina where you can rent a boat, good restaurant if you are not much for campfire cooking, courtesy car for a trip to the near by store but we rented a boat one day and toured the lake and stop by the store for supplies. The lake, which is beautiful, has good fishing and swimming. The strip is well known, I am sure, but it was not crowded the whole week we were there.
Fires prevented us from making it to Johnson but we did go to Elk River (ID85) which is a neat little town of less than 200 people with general store serving huckleberry ice cream. A lake with good fishing a short walk from the strip which was easy in and out. Also went to Magee (S77) which was a little more difficult in and out. Has a nice stream for trout fishing and this place was deserted.
If you are not very familiar with Idaho I would suggest Galen Hanselman book Fly Idaho.
Have Fun.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Someone asked about ski flying in Idaho. Kif Brown of Yellowpine usually keeps his C-180 on wheel skis at Johnson Creek if the winter snow is suitable for ski operation. I don't believe last year was any good, but it looks better this year. The airport webcam shows a pretty fair layer of snow now and the forecast calls for more this week.
Ray Arnold of Arnold Aviation in Cascade, Id., usually puts their C-185 on wheel skis in order serve his back country mail routes and other customers.
BL