Oil Filter Collapse

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

phantomphixer

Oil Filter Collapse

Post by phantomphixer »

Read somewhere recently that oil filter collapse will happen around 60-65 hours of engine time without an oil change. I assume this is due to clogged pleats. Trying to find the article to pass along to a couple of buddies who just bought an M5-235 Maule. Just need it for reference. Nobody I know would go beyond 50 hours without an oil change. (let's hope not). I subscibe to Light Plane Maintenance and thought it might have been in last month's issue, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Phantomphixer
55' 170B N3585C
Somerton, AZ
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I would hope that the bypass valve would be designed to open before the filter collapses.

Miles
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

This oil filter collapse business sounds like a lot of BS to me. Internally they're about the same as automotive filters and those will run for ten thousand miles and never collapse. I'd estimate sixty five hours equivalent to maybe something just under about five thousand miles if you were driving pretty damn fast. Ford Motor Company now advises oil change interval at seven thousand five hundred miles. Thats one hundred fifty hours at an average speed of fifty miles per hour.
BL
tshort

Post by tshort »

Can the oil pump system even generate enough pressure / suction to collapse one of those things?
The metal is fairly thick, and in a cylindrical shape they're pretty strong ... I would think that the gasket or something else would give before the thing would collapse...

T.
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If a spin on filter collapses it's most likely due to the use of an incorrect filter.
Filter adaptors come in two versions....internal by-pass....and non by-pass. Non by-pass adaptors must use a filter with an integral bypass such as a Champion 48108 or 48109. Internal by-pass adaptors can use the 48110, etc.
Use of a non-by-pass filter (48110) with a non-by-pass adaptor can eventually lead to a collapsed filter....oh probably about 1 or 2 thousand hours.... or sooner if the engine has other issues.
Use the correct filter. Change oil and filter at the recommended times. (TCM recommends a 100 hr spin on filter change with 50 hour oil changes, but I never liked the idea of running clean oil thru a dirty filter, so I change them simultaneously....at 25 hrs.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

I have seen a few filters collapse. 8O Not on a 170 and not because it was the wrong filter, nor was it clogged (not by crud anyway). Cold weather :!: -40ish and not enough warm-up. I know it happened on Navajo's and I think on a 207.
Hell my memory is starting to go :cry:
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mit...that was a collapse of the "can"...right? Due to extreme suction applied from the pump?

(The examples I was thinking of were internal collapses of the paper element. Filer by-pass valves operate as a function of differential pressure across the filter-element and would be unlikely to collapse a can. But I can see where cold oil, thick-as-grease could collapse a can.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

gahorn wrote:mit...that was a collapse of the "can"...right? Due to extreme suction applied from the pump?

(The examples I was thinking of were internal collapses of the paper element. Filer by-pass valves operate as a function of differential pressure across the filter-element and would be unlikely to collapse a can. But I can see where cold oil, thick-as-grease could collapse a can.)
Yes the can collasped and crushed the filter I forget which P/N filters they where.
Tim
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

This thread started by talking of filter element collapse due to 60 to 65 hours of use with, I surmised, the same oil. I just don't think that will ever happen without some other serious problem of which a collapsed filter would be the least of the problem.
BL