170 as first plane ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

There is a link in here somewhere to most popular/recommended mods. For me it has been the BAS tail handles, a future upgrade to the BAS inertia shoulder harnesses, repitching my prop to 76x51...and it had VG's when I purchased it. Still trying to decide on the best anti-collision lighting upgrade for flying in the Anchorage Bowl, for now I have a double flash strobe where the rotating beacon used to be.

Oh yeah, STC for auto fuel.
I just got my prop repitched to a 51" and am installing it tonight. I can't wait to try it out. We got to watch him repitch it - very interesting and very inexpensive! cost more in gas driving than it did to have the repitch done ($50.00). Hopefully this will give me better short field performance and take offs with the skis! I also got the Auto gas STC but have only put auto gas in a couple of times as it is hard to find without alchohol.

Paul
N3458D
dacker

Post by dacker »

Paul, definitely let us know the performance differences with the repitched prop. I was thinking about repitching mine to a 51 but am worried about losing too much speed. Then again I have green stripes... I have a little to spare as compared to those red airplanes. :wink:
David
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

dacker wrote:Paul, definitely let us know the performance differences with the repitched prop. I was thinking about repitching mine to a 51 but am worried about losing too much speed. Then again I have green stripes... I have a little to spare as compared to those red airplanes. :wink:
David
Wonder if those red airplanes should be required to run more flashing lights visible from the rear to avoid being overrun by all other aircraft and birds? Ahhhhh! Now I understand why George washes the bugs off his trailing edges while others are doing the leading edges! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

My numbers (with the 51 pitch prop) probably wouldn't help the rest of you since I have the 165 horse engine. I can say that I didn't really notice too much reduction in speed. Seems like it gets off the ground much faster and climbs MUCH faster BUT...there has been a big difference in OAT's from when I flew it with the 53 pitch back in the late summer, so...

At one point last month I was climbing at 1100-1300 fpm at 80 mph at about 2000 MSL at about 2000 lbs, but like I said I was climbing through nice VERY cold dense air...
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
Alaska Flyer

C170B in Anchorage

Post by Alaska Flyer »

Bob,
I have a '54 170B at Merrill. If you want to have a look at send me a note. I know of a 170B sitting at MRI that the guy wants to sell. It has been sitting for a while but maybe worth looking at.

I own mine 170B for three years now and love it. Good plane to stick the family in and fly airport to airport and good bushplane with two people on board. When light you will be able to get into most places the cubs go into around Anchorage.
GAHorn

Re: C170B in Anchorage

Post by GAHorn »

Alaska Flyer wrote:...I own mine 170B for three years now and love it. Good plane to stick the family in and fly airport to airport and good bushplane with two people on board. When light you will be able to get into most places the cubs go into around Anchorage.
And Cubs carry how many people? :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

PA-12s and PA-14s carry 3 as long as they are average size people for 1940. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com