javelin tank

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N170GA

javelin tank

Post by N170GA »

George, The seller states the tank is for a C172 not C170. Is that going to work in my 1951 C170A, and does it require an STC/337 for installation to be legal. Any experience with these type of "Javelins"?
Does the installation require permanent removal of the rear seat, or is it installed aft of the seat? I would like the range increase, but not the loss of the seat.
Your input, or the input of others would be greatly appreciated.
N170GA
Neil
Harold Holiman

Javlin Tank

Post by Harold Holiman »

Neil,

I have a Javlin tank in my 180. It looks just like the one pictured. You do not remove the rear seat. It fits in the baggage compartment and raises the floor of the baggage compartment about six inches or so. The tunnel you see pictured on the front of the tank accomodates the rear seat bottom stinger which you modify the rear of the stinger to a fork rather than a hole so you can still remove the rear seat whenever necessary without disturbing the tank installation. The tank has a plywood floor and carpet over it. You just fly on your right tank to get the fuel down then transfer fuel from the Javlin to the right tank. The only disadvantage to the system is a weight penalty and slightly less luggage room. A 337 is required.

Harold
Classic170

Post by Classic170 »

The Javlin tank is a must in a Lycoming Powered 170. With a C-145 you have to think about it as the range and load is well matched. Mine came as a kit for a Cessna 175. But it went right into the 170 A except it came with a 24 volt pump so I had to buy a 12 volt and yes it is approved as item #113 on the aircraft specification sheet on theType Certificate. I paid $1200 new 10 years ago and love it but then again I have 180HP and it helps my CG.
N170GA

Post by N170GA »

Thanks Harold and "Classic". My C170 has the Lyc 180HP conversion with a C/S prop so the added range would be helpful. Good comment about the CG too. The previous owner kept a 5 gal jug of water in the baggage compartment to make it "fly better". Might as well make it a combustable liquid that I can use! I'm thinking it will add about 150 lbs when full. When I'm short hauling I can pump it dry and still have good CG and usefull load. Thanks for the input. N170GA Neil
auxtank

Post by auxtank »

Neil,

I agree with everything said so far. The Type Certificate Data Sheet for the C170 series is available at:

http://www.bayareaaeroclub.org/tc/cessna-170-a-799.pdf

Page 9 lists the 18 gal. Javelin tank (item 113) and states that it must be installed accordance with particular Javelin instructions and drawings. Installed weight 24 lbs., so expect 132 lbs. with full fuel. You'll also need item 402(k) - the FAA approved airplane flight manual supplement and the required baggage compartment placard stating how much baggage can be loaded under various fuel conditions.

I think some who post here would say that if you follow the instructions and the drawings as stated in the TCDS your mechanic can install this tank with just a logbook entry....but I have no knowlege of that.

Good Luck, Gordon Sandy N4002V
auxtank

Post by auxtank »

Neil,
The placard at the fuel transfer pump switch is required by an AD:

Airworthiness Directives

Header Information
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Part 39
Amendment 39-1701; AD 73-17-01

Airworthiness Directives; CESSNA Models 170, 172, 175, 180 and 182 Airplanes

Preamble Information

Regulatory Information

73-17-01 CESSNA: Amdt. 39-1701. Applies to all series of Cessna Models 170, 172, 175, 180 and 182 airplanes equipped with the 18 gallon auxiliary fuel tank manufactured by the Javelin Aircraft Company, Wichita, Kansas.

Compliance: Required within 100 hours time in service after the effective date of this AD, unless already accomplished.

To advise the pilot concerning proper fuel transfer pump operation, install Javelin Placard 782-14 or an equivalent FAA-approved placard, adjacent to the fuel transfer pump switch which reads as follows: "AUXILIARY FUEL TRANSFER PUMP. PULL ON. PUSH OFF. PLACE PUMP OFF BEFORE CHANGING FROM LEFT TANK."

NOTE: Failure to turn off fuel boost pump allows air to enter engine fuel system and may cause engine power failure when fuel selector valve is changed from left tank position.

Cessna Service Letter No. SE69-24 dated November 21, 1969, or subsequent FAA-approved revisions cover this subject matter.

This amendment becomes effective August 16, 1973.

N4002V - Gordon