Oil Level with Filter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Oil Level with Filter

Post by Robert Eilers »

I hope this is not a stupid question. I had a spin-on oil filter installed on my C145. The C145 ordinarily takes 8 qts of oil, it was recommended that I add one quart for the filter. Ordinarily, before the filter I ran the oil level at 7 qts. Now with the filter installed, when the dip stick reflects 6 qts, I actually have 6+ due to the filter capacity. My question is should I now run with a level of 6 qts vs. the 7 qts. prior to the filter, or do I continue to run at a dip stick level of 7 qts?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I will run mine as low as 5 guarts if I don't have a quart on hand to pour in. I also have a filter.

I feel better about this in the winter when it's cold and the oil tends to run cooler. In the summer I like to have at least 6 quarts for cooling for all but the shortest hops.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

I run mine at 6 on the dipstick (with oil filter), and will let it run down to 5 before adding a quart.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
dacker

Post by dacker »

I have a spin on oil filter, El Reno I believe. I just changed the oil yesterday and filled the filter with oil before putting it on, it takes less than 1/2 quart to fill it. With that being said, you still need to fill your sump to the normal operating level. For my airplane that is about 7 quarts, much more than that and it seems to blow it overboard. So what this means is, even though your dipstick reads 7, you may have 7 1/2 or more. In other words fill according to the dip stick, regardless of how much it actually takes.
David