Maintenance manuals, 337s & field approvals.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

Maintenance manuals, 337s & field approvals.

Post by Metal Master »

I have been making progress on rebuilding our 170A N1208D. I took the fuselage to the hanger at Auburn on July 4th. My coonhounds appreciated the chance to get away from the fire works.
I have been working on the left wing in my garage since the space was vacated buy the fuselage. The wing was bent outboard of the factory spar splice in the ground loop executed by the previous owner.

After removing the damaged areas and inspecting the damage I had decided to repair the spar. After coming up with a repair plan I contacted my local and familiar FAA representative to discuss whether a field approval would be required for my repair plan.

As it turns out the spar caps were not damaged, only the spar web and the associated upper flange. For information in our discussion I referenced the 100 series 1963 and prior maintenance manual, which does not apply, to our 170,s.

The 100 series maintenance manual outlines a very complicated spar repair that actually replaces sections of the afore mentioned spar caps which as stated were not damaged. I explained that my repair was actually less complicated as it did not include an insertion repair to the spar caps.

The following are the comments by my FAA rep. considering that there is no approved maintenance manual for the 170A.
· That if the repair could be done in accordance with the AC 43.13 1b that a field approval would not be required as the AC could be used as Approved data listed in block 8 of a form 337. He read the purpose section of the AC to me. That as an IA I could sign this form off without a field approval.
· That if it could not be performed in accordance with the AC 43.1b the Data in it and in the 100 series maintenance manual could be used as supporting data for a field approval if no other data could documented. And that he would be happy to work with me on this issue. But… that in his opinion
· The repair I was performing did not fall into the scope and detail that was outlined in the 100 series maintenance manual and was fully covered in the AC 43.13-1b and required no field approval and as such by stating the proper chapter and verse of the AC in block 8 of the form I could fill out the form 337 complete and sign it off without any participation of the FAA in my project.

This all agrees with what I believe to be the case and is the process I have used in other repairs that I have performed in getting field approvals and filling out form 337,s for other aircraft that have no structural repair manual for the aircraft such as Mauls and various Piper aircraft.
In reference to comments in another thread elsewhere. These aircraft do have a maintenance manual in the form of the AC 43.13-1b the engine maintenance manual, the propeller maintenance manual and many other documents that can be used as supporting data for field approvals and filing of form 337’s, which would be required in any case with the repairs that I am completing.

This has always been my experiance in working with the FAA. I find them helpfull and I have no problem with them. There are however inspectors I avoid who do not have the experiance and understaning of their own documentation.
:lol:

People will ask how I am maintaining alignment of the wing and other issues which are inumerable, but that is another story.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
cessna170bdriver

Re: Maintenance manuals, 337s & field approvals.

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Metal Master wrote:In reference to comments in another thread elsewhere. These aircraft do have a maintenance manual in the form of the AC 43.13-1b the engine maintenance manual, the propeller maintenance manual and many other documents that can be used as supporting data for field approvals and filing of form 337’s, which would be required in any case with the repairs that I am completing.
Metal Master, good luck on your project! It sounds like you have a fighting chance of completing your project, with your inspector who really does believe he is "here to help you". We need all the airworthy 170's we can get! From other of your posts I get the idea that you've been through all the hoops before on other rebuilds, and that helps too.
Metal Master wrote:This has always been my experiance in working with the FAA. I find them helpfull and I have no problem with them. There are however inspectors I avoid who do not have the experiance and understaning of their own documentation.
:lol:
I know that there are plenty of good FAA folks out there; we have at least two in the Association. I'm sure the guy that gave the PACE presentation to us on Monday understands that an aircraft service manual isn't the only approved source of approved data, but I sure didn't get the feeling that he would be forthcoming with much constructive advice if I ever had a problem.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Just to offer a clarifier on this situation: The Cessna 100 Series Service Manual, 1962 and Prior...DOES apply to our Cessna 170's. It just doesn't mention 170's very often outside of landing gear alignment.
The real problem (and I'd never point this out to an FAA guy) is..... there is nowhere in that Cessna Service Manual that states it is FAA APPROVED! There is no approval basis that I can find. Good info. Just not approved by the feds.
Therefore any use of that manual requires that the work performed be in accordance with FAR 43 and acceptable methods, etc.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
S2D

Post by S2D »

gahorn wrote:(and I'd never point this out to an FAA guy)
I think you just did !! :wink:
Brian S.
54 C-180 - - - 55 PA-18
Oliver 88
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

S2D wrote:
gahorn wrote:(and I'd never point this out to an FAA guy)
I think you just did !! :wink:
The two in our Association are promoters of the 170. Not to worry.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)