wHEN IS A 337 NEEDED VS AN STC

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, just an opinion (...I know...I know...but I thought I'd just for once go out on a limb and offer an opinon... 8) ) ...
You COULD do #1...but I wouldn't because it would also require a Form 337 as a major repair.
I don't think you can force Avion to do something like obtain an STC. It's not THEIR fault you purchased an airplane with documentation that's less than perfect. (And although they offer their product for use on an airplane, since it's an unapproved part, with no PMA, and no STC, then installing it becomes the responsibility of the installer...and I'll bet their sales literature also makes reference to that fact.)
The third option is probably your best one. Since the airplane has been flying with that panel for so long, it's likely that your IA whom has been signing off your annuals will feel somewhat interested in getting the FAA/FSDO inspector he works with to approve the panel. A Form 337 showing approval in block 3 of another 170 with the Avion panel would be a big help.
Does your Avion panel drastically differ from the original? (For example, does it center-stack the radios?) Or is it merely a new panel with relocated instruments? Two folks that may be helpful to you are Harry Dellicker of Del Air in Porterville, CA, and Johnny Williams of Ducote, Tx. Both can be found via Google or the TIC170A directory. Both of them have experience in getting new instrument panels field approved. Keep us posted.
I sounds as if your panel was signed off as a minor repair (...in accordance with... language.) Your own IA is responsible for accepting that description as appropriate when he approved your airplane for return to service following an annual inspection. I suggest you include him in your deliberations. He may simply advise you to leave things as they are.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Again don't deal with this part supplier, it's a waste of money and effort and hopefully in the end he will reap the profits he deserves. Besides the stuff looks good but in fact the quality isn't there. STC's are a minefield as sometimes there's little support by the holder of the STC once the product has been sold. Experiences of others is a good way to tell whether your about to deal with a flake as compared to companies such as B.A.S. the real deal.
zero.one.victor

Re: JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT

Post by zero.one.victor »

n3437d wrote:More thinking on this topic...I have this situation where a prior owner did work, new Avion panel. Now there is no STC and Avion will not step up to plate and furnish one, stating that "No STC was ever promised." Now we have an aircraft that is not in compliance. Are the choices #1 remove existing "upgraded panel" with one that is STC'd, #2 Attempt to have Avion get their panels STC'd, #3 Attempt to get field approval? What should the responsibility be of companies that provide aircraft components?
I really never thought much about this until the world turned complicated.
I was wondering if you had asked Avion for their assistance in obtaining a field approval, by working with you & your IA & furnishing some documentation via previously field-approved 337's? Or did you just ask for (or demand?) an STC? You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, you know.....If they don't have an STC, that's all there is to it. But they could be an excellent source for documentation of previous approvals.

Eric
n3437d

Avion

Post by n3437d »

bees and hoeny is a good concept. No I did not demand I simply stated thae facts. Trevor stated "we never promise an STC. I would cost us over $40k to obtain one." He called me the next day and it was all one sided and very defensive from the start. It appeared to me that this guy has his wires wrapped a bit too tight. Said he would "take action if anyone thinks of speaking poorly about Avion." I for one would never think of "speaking poorly about Avion."

When I asked for assistance he said "contact your local FSDO"

I am going to try and get a "field check on this but want to go about it softly.
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
cessna170bdriver

Re: Avion

Post by cessna170bdriver »

n3437d wrote:I am going to try and get a "field check on this but want to go about it softly.
I would say that the "softest" way to check this out would be to talk to the IA who's been annualing your airplane. If he decides to pursue the paperwork, he might be able to base a field approval on similarity to the C-172A,B,C,D for which Avion does claim to have "STC/PMA Approval".
See http://www.avion.com./Products/Instrume ... lKits.html Look for the table about three fourths of the way down the page.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n3437d

Avion "Final Word"

Post by n3437d »

OK, first off, thank you all that have offered wonderful suggestions, comments, Miles, George, and others.

I will pursue a solution "quietly" and promise to let all know the results but it could take a while to get all squared away.

S.C.O A (stay clear of Avion) :wink:
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Somewhat off topic, two years ago my mechanic / IA took a job with the FAA as an airworthiness inspector. He told me that on his first day of training, the first thing he was told was "Don't be a dick". I like that-
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rudymantel wrote:Somewhat off topic, two years ago my mechanic / IA took a job with the FAA as an airworthiness inspector. He told me that on his first day of training, the first thing he was told was "Don't be a dick". I like that-
Rudy
Soo......let that be a WARNING to you bluelder ! :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

rudymantel wrote:Somewhat off topic, two years ago my mechanic / IA took a job with the FAA as an airworthiness inspector. He told me that on his first day of training, the first thing he was told was "Don't be a dick". I like that-
Rudy
Some of them just don't listen! If they are dick before they get there; it may be too late..... 8O
Tim
S2D

Re: wHEN IS A 337 NEEDED VS AN STC

Post by S2D »

n3437d wrote:DOES ONE NEED A 337 OR STC IF A NEW PANEL (AIVION INSTRUMENTS) IS ADDED TO REPLACE OLD? :?:
you leave a couple important pieces of information out on your posts.

1. what was the panel made out of. How different is it than the original.
Is it similiar material with a different layout or a complete different type of attachment.

2. Who signed off the original work. Obviously the original installer who signed it off determined it to be a minor modification.

You could always go the bogus parts route as last resort
Brian S.
54 C-180 - - - 55 PA-18
Oliver 88