Worn Cowl doors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Indopilot

Worn Cowl doors

Post by Indopilot »

Its been fun doing a search for this topic and getting side tracked reading some of the interesting articles that pop up. But haven't found anything that addresses what some of you astute fellows have done to overcome this problem.
I am working on a cowl (1954) where both access door sides have worn thin or thru and are catching their paper thin edges on the flange they used to butt up against. I'm about to build new doors unless someone has a better idea. I thought of wider flanges but that looks about as difficult as new doors and wouldn't look as good when finished. any other ideas out there? Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I became concerned about this possibility last year when I noticed "smoking" from the area mentioned. So I bit the bullet and bought an entire roll of that expensive Teflon tape to stop the chafeing. It worked. I only needed a foot or so tho', and it's dissappointing to spend $35 on a roll of tape I only needed a few inches from. I've thought of carrying that roll of tape with me to fly ins to see if I could get others to take it off my hands, a foot at a time. :P
Gotta be careful with it tho', as it IS slippery. If your door isn't properly latched it'll help it fly open in flight. Don't ask. :?

Anyway...as for your problem...the doors can be a sore subject. They are a lot of trouble to repair properly and guarding against damage in a preventive way is the best action. If your door is thin...I'm not sure doubling the ledge is going to help the problem. You may have to simply rebuld the door. Sorry not to be more help.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

The problem is not just the door, as they can easily be rebuilt in a few hours. The problem more than likely is the cowl. On the inside of the cowl around he door opening is a doubler that is tack welded to the cowl. More than likely you will find the doubler has worn (beveled at the top of the door) along with the door. The resulting gap has to be taken up with something (eg a hard RTV) to ensure the door remains closed.