Steel Axles now Approved!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Steel Axles now Approved!

Post by GAHorn »

I've just rec'd a personal phone call as a follow up to my query last year, from Lee Budde (pronounced Booty) of Airframes, Inc., regarding their hollow, steel axle PN AF1441003-1 which was previously approved for 180/182 aircraft (and others) but not our 170's.
They have now obtained FAA-PMA approval for this axle to be installed on the Cessna 170, and he will be sending me the paper on the approval shortly. This means that the axle may be installed on our airplanes with only a logbook entry as a replacement part. :P
Lee also says he's obtained approval for his engine cooling baffles for the 1953 and later B-models, which include several improvements to the original baffle sealing. He plans to work toward producing approved baffles for the earlier airplanes in the future. You may view and order the entire set, or individual baffles from their website.
So if you need baffles for your later B-model, or axles to replace your failure-prone aluminum ones, then contact:
Airframes, Inc.
P.O. Box 521795
Big Lake, AK 99652
PH: 907-892-8244

http://www.enginebaffles.com

Airframes, Inc. is now a supporter of TIC170A and is advertising with us in the next issue, so let's reciprocate!
(Thanks, Lee!)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
spiro

Post by spiro »

as I've mentioned before Lee is an excellent guy with superior products. His primary deal is complete PMA'd replacement fuselages for SuperCubs, including ones 4" wider than standard. CubCrafters uses his for their *new* Cubs. See his primary site:
http://www.supercubs.com/
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

George, did you get any paperwork from Airframes concerning their approval of the steel axles for the 170? I just got a set from them, but they didn't include any paperwork.
mit

Post by mit »

I just got the two side baffles from them. They look and work good. :D
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've still not rec'd the promised paperwork. If you have their axles, I suggest you start a fire under him. :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Airframes has sent me a copy of their FAA-PMA for their axle part # 1441003-1 hollow steel axle, it indicates that the part is a direct replacement for Cessna part #s 0541124 and 0541124-1. All models of C170 are eligible.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep, I just rec'd their approval paperwork as well. Good news!
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

They also mentioned they would be glad to take anyones A model airbox and reverse engineer it to make a new set if there's somebody that needs a new one.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

mit wrote:I just got the two side baffles from them. They look and work good. :D
Tim,

I am considering Airframes, Inc. as a source of all new baffling for my O-300A, and would like a few more details:

Are the silicone seals pre-installed?

Did they fit right out of the box?

Thanks, Miles

PS: Does anyone else have any experience with Airframes, Inc.'s baffles?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
mit

Post by mit »

Tim,

I am considering Airframes, Inc. as a source of all new baffling for my O-300A, and would like a few more details:

Are the silicone seals pre-installed?

Did they fit right out of the box?

Thanks, Miles

PS: Does anyone else have any experience with Airframes, Inc.'s baffles?[/quote]

Miles

The seals where installed and they both went right on with out any trouble. left and right .
Tim