cowl screws

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jatkins

cowl screws

Post by jatkins »

My mechanic questions the PK screws that hold the bottom cowl and the top cowl to the fuselage on my 52 170B . I have checked in the parts book , and to the best of my understanding , this seems to be original ?????
Is there any history or comments of these PK screws being a problem ?
He is suggesting to change these to machine screws .This would of course mean changing the receivers for the screws as well .
I don't think he is set on this .....? but he is suggesting that PKs may not be that good ? comments ???

John Atkins
CF-HER #20292
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Just a couple of questions, where did you find him, and does he shave yet? 8O The screws are original if a little slow to remove if you are in a hurry. Of course putting machine screws in would make it even longer to remove the cowling not to mention the paperwork invloved to get them approved. For what its worth. Brian :roll:
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

John,

Brian is correct. But even more important, ask how your mechanic will get Transport Canada approval for such a change. Lived, worked, and flew there for ten years and I can assure you, dealing with the FAA is a thousand times easier 8O than dealing with Transport Canada :cry: on any airworthiness question. Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt.
Chuck
GAHorn

Re: cowl screws

Post by GAHorn »

jatkins wrote:My mechanic questions the PK screws that hold the bottom cowl and the top cowl to the fuselage on my 52 170B ....... he is suggesting that PKs may not be that good ? comments ???

John Atkins
CF-HER #20292
He may be right, John. So far they've only held it all together for 53 years. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)