FAR question / I'm confused 8)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

So when they say 2"D" cell or equiv. do they mean equiv. to be:
1. the amp hour capacity of 2 "d" cells
a. alkaline
b. zinc carbon
c. lithium
d. nicad/ nimh

2. the light output
a. lumens
b. candela

I can go on but I will not.
However mabe I will, I did just compare a standard issue airline 2 cell "D" with alkaline to a 3 cell "AA" gerber reactor led lamp flashlight with my canon light meter. Using a standard grey card I got a reflected EV. of 9 for the 2 "D" cell flashlight which has a burn time of 3 to 4 hours compared to the EV of 10 (higher output) of the led lamp which has a burn time of 15 hours full output and 75 hours burn time.
I'm shure you have heard the term " a rose is a rose" but when the goverment is involved a rose may not be just a rose, or better yet if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck its probably a hippopotamus :wink:

Oh and flashlight requirement is for part 135 operators I belive.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That's spme neat testing Vic. The reg. just says 2 "D" cell or equivilant. That's it. Don't know what testing the FAA would except for "equivilant". Most operators I know just make sure they have one with 2 "D" cells. Then there is no guestion. We have one in the MedEvac helicopter I fly under 135 and never use it preferring instead to use a mini mag lite.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have it on good authority that "equivalent" means equal with regard to weight. :lol:
(Do not forget that it's mass results in it becoming a missle in turbulence and crashworthiness requires a mount capable of sustaining 9G's. FAR's require that it's operating instructions be followed to the letter, so if you crash do NOT burn. Otherwise you will be issued a citation for incinerating the batteries in violation of it's mfr's instructions.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)