New member introduction

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

New member introduction

Post by Metal Master »

Just an introduction! :D

Hello Fellow 170 owners,

My name is Jim. I just joined the 170 association. I should have joined long ago. My partner & I purchased a damaged 170A, which we are currently repairing, rebuilding. We are both A&P’s. The left wing has yet to enter the shop. The fuselage is in the shop upside down. The gearbox has been rebuilt with new replacement parts. I was able to get most of the important steel doublers from Cessna. The rest of the skins I have made from stock 2024 T3. The landing gear bulkheads and left forward doorpost we were able to get from Cessna but the aft lower cabin bulkhead and the bulkhead that is in the middle between the door openings were not available from Cessna. We chose to repair the two aft bulkheads as opposed to trying to find usable parts from a pre-owned 170 A at one of the recycling yards. All of the parts for the fuselage are now primed with 2 part epoxy paint and ready for installation.
My partner is retired so he has less time to help with the project so between times that I can get him down to help riveting and other chores I have started polishing the aluminum surfaces.
Between my two partners, one I am in with another non Cessna tail dragger project. We have a Cessna 120, 140, 140A, 1956 172 tail wheel conversion (We did the conversion and 180 Lyc installation) and now the 170A. Except for the 140 these are the flying airplanes. I wont go on about our other projects, it is pure sickness.

I have a few digital pictures to show but have not quite figures out how to post them. :?:

I am finding so muck information on the 170 Association forums that I am in overload and I have to pry myself away from the computer to get to work.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Welcome Jim. Your projects sound neat. You have come to the right place to learn about the 170.

Would love to see some pictures of your airplane but unfortunatly you have to be able to store them some place open to the public on the internet like a web site would be and then give us the address (url) or post the address in an image tag as part of one of your posts. You can find out more about this by reading this post:
http://www.cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1574
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com