1948 170 Project For Sale

Where TIC170A members may list items for sale or trade or make wants known.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Forum rules
Guests and forum participants are welcome to view posts in this area but one must be TIC170A member to post an ad here - -Why Join the TIC170A - - How to Join the TIC170A
dbotich

1948 170 Project For Sale

Post by dbotich »

wing 2.jpg
haul 1.jpg
LATEST UPDATE: I just purchased another 1948 170 that has all the parts needed to complete this project. So now it is being sold with all the spare parts to replace those damaged. This additional 170 will increase the price to $30K

Go to this Google Drive link for lots of pictures
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

Feel free to ask questions and any detailed pics you want to see. This is a good project if you have the skill to repair a metal aircraft.
The interior is in old but very good condition albeit the red is faded, seats, carpet, side panels, headliner, etc. The panel is complete with all the instruments and old radios, even a Loran. All the plastic windows are in good condition. Records are very well organized into an AdLog binder.

2479 TSN as of 10-16-2015, engine C-145-2H TSN 2475 and 1468 SMOH
W&B last done 1992 with an empty weight of 1298 and useful load of 901 lbs.
Last Annual 10-16-2015, all AD’s up to date at that time

Aircraft had a hard landing in a field and damaged the LH gearbox/door post area. The pilot flew it out of the field. So it was still flyable and the LH main gear was still OK structurally. It sat from a while before the owner went to disassemble it and haul it back to his home in North Idaho where I picked it up. I have now done a detailed inspection of the damage. I have gutted the interior and got a good look at the damaged area. I have posted many photos of those areas with my comments. The gearbox castings look undamaged. The gearbox bulkheads are compressed in the middle and look repairable. The LH doorpost looks like it could be straightened, if annealed first. A section of the lower boot cowl needs replacing and about 3 feet of the LH belly skin. The damage does not appear to extend beyond the mid line of the cabin. The exterior doublers around the gear leg/wing lift strut on both sides needs replacing as it was cut during disassembly. No DUH...don’t ask! Both gear legs are not bent.

I am a retired pilot A&P and IA and have rebuilt metal aircraft. I just don’t have the time for this project. This 170 appears to have “good bones” and should be put back into service.

Damaged areas from the landing:
LH door post
LH gearbox structure extending midway
LH floor area on top of the gearbox
LH lower boot cowl
LH lower belly skins
LH skins around the main landing gear leg and wing strut area
LH outboard pilots seat track slightly bent (seat rolls easily)

Damage during transport:
RH horizontal stabilizer outboard tip area (hit a road sign?)
Both flaps have some trailing edge damage from tie down straps
One aileron has some trailing edge damage (chaffed)
Both wing leading edges has a slight dent in one spot from tie down straps

NEW INFORMATION:

I now have an additional 170 for all the parts to replace the damaged ones. This will be included in the sale.

Horizontal stabilizer
Flaps
Ailerons
Entire LH cabin section for all the damaged areas including floor, gearbox area, seat tracks, door post, bulkheads, boot cowl, all the LH skins needed, etc.

The engine will most likely require a tear-down and/or overhaul due to inactivity
The propeller appears to be in very good condition
Both main landing gear legs, wheels and brakes appear to be undamaged as does the tailwheel (Scott)

If you are serious, call or email me. David 775-315-0162 david.botich@gmail.com
Attachments
shop 3.jpg
shop 1.jpg
haul 2.jpg