Broken rudder return spring

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Richgj3

Broken rudder return spring

Post by Richgj3 »

I had a suspicion this was a problem when I disconnected my tail wheel and saw the rudder pedals were not even and the rudder was slightly off to one side. I needed to hold a touch of right rudder in cruise. I’m not sure it hasn’t been that way since I’ve owned it. Now it’s
IMG_8613.jpeg
annual time and we looked through the inspection hole in the belly under the pedals found the broken spring. Univair has it. $$$$$
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
mit

Re: Broken rudder return spring

Post by mit »

paying the money is easier than getting it hooked up! :lol:
Tim
170driver

Post by 170driver »

I am replacing my left one right now as well… Air Power Inc. had springs for both sides in stock. Not fun/easy to R&R..good luck
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This used to be one of the Least-Expensive parts Cessna sells…. Univair: https://www.univair.com/cessna/cessna-1 ... ring-left/

https://www.univair.com/cessna/cessna-1 ... ing-right/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Credit Dick Lemmon: the trick to replacing the springs is to disconnect the rudder cables at the rudder horn so you have plenty of slack to work with. After replacing the springs it’s fairly easy to reattach the cables to the horn.
dstates

Post by dstates »

Here is another thread about rudder return springs. I had good luck replacing them using some safety wire to pull back and to the side to get mine installed.
viewtopic.php?t=15024

Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Just to close out the thread, got the new spring installed today. Not too bad. My A&P buddy did the work. As he put it, it was a lot easier than getting that #$&@% back seat in. :D
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

It wish I had met Dick Lemmon , he was a very interesting and knowledgeable person. Loved his logic on the forum. Actually i used to look forward to his forum inputs. I have used his method of replacing the rudder springs on Two occasions . The left side broke ,replaced it and inspected the RH side and it looked good . Two weeks later [6 hours of flying ]
guess which one broke ? Yep, the Rh side . I should have changed both .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It’s impossible to think of the Blueldr without a smile and a tear. Even a “corrective scolding” from that man was a humorous pleasure….(not that I’d know anything about that…) :lol:

I once (anonymously and without a return-address) sent him a “racy” photograph taken of an “extra-curricular cockpit activity” …. About a week later I received an equally anonymous envelope in the mail…. containing a One-Dollar Bill. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)