Oil Leak

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: Oil Leak

Post by c170b53 »

Dick wrote
Back in February of 1951 I went up to Downsview Canada, to pick up the first De Haviland Beaver the USAF bought for service testing. That's the way the factory wechanics dried up the oil leaks on the second hand P&W R-985 engines they had
That's the way we still do it (developer) today for oil and air leaks especially in the hot areas. And whack can its ?
I resemble that remark too 8O
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

blueldr wrote:I know of one owner that "staked" the plug in the IO-360 crankshaft using a center punch after heard about Richards problem. This was on a TCM IO-360 conversion using a fixed pitch prop.

Dick-
How was the plug staked?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
170C

Post by 170C »

After spending an hour in a '48 Navion while the owner played with his iPad's HSI (boy that thing is heavy on the controls compared to our Cessna's) I pulled my spinner and the crankshaft plug is dry as ever. Must be the crankshaft seal. For O-300's is the seal one of the type that requires the prop to be removed to install it or is is a seal that can be installed with the prop on?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If the seal is a "split" type, it can be installed with the prop in situ. The TCM Overhaul manual describes the procedure.

From the Ovhl manual: " Remove spring from new crankshaft oil seal. Twist seal, and pass it over the shaft race behind the prope~ler flange, with lip to rear. Coat seal lip and shaft race with Gredag #44. Pass the spring around the shaft, and hook the ends. Lift the spring progressively into the seal groove. ..."

Next, be certain the split in the seal is at least 20-degrees offset from the crankcase split. I recommend you pre-lube the seal inner surface with engine oil if you don't have "Gredag #44" to make certain it does not wear excessively during first start up.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Richard,
The guy that had the staked plug was up at Johnson Creek and we got to discussing our inatallations. I also had a FP propon my airplane at that time. We discussed the problem you had with the plug and he told me he had read your comments and had staked it using a long center punch with an offset point. I didn't see the tool or the job. I had pulled the plug on mine and used locktite on it. Not much later I went to a CSprop and removed the plug.
I had oil on my windshield one time with my original C-145 engine. I found oil coming out of the spinner on the back side of the prop and thought "How in hell do you get a FP prop to leak oil". When I pulled the spinner, I found that the "freeze plug" in the front main journal had come out and the engine was breathing out through the hollow prop shaft.
BL
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

For the C-145 crank seal replacement, is this a one hour job for most mechanics? Just need to pull the cowl halves off? I understand that it is a split style so the prop can stay in place. I’m getting a light oil mist on the windshield after a long flight, along with a small amount of oil on the leading edge of the cowl opening near spinner. The seal area does look wet, so I was going to order the seal (530917) for my mechanic to install after he inspects the engine. Are there any other parts that will be needed for the swap?
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mmcmillan2 wrote:For the C-145 crank seal replacement, is this a one hour job for most mechanics? Just need to pull the cowl halves off? I understand that it is a split style so the prop can stay in place. I’m getting a light oil mist on the windshield after a long flight, along with a small amount of oil on the leading edge of the cowl opening near spinner. The seal area does look wet, so I was going to order the seal (530917) for my mechanic to install after he inspects the engine. Are there any other parts that will be needed for the swap?
TCM SB M76-4 (in the MX Library) provides the instructions to replace the crankshaft seal: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8201

You’ll need some emery-cloth to put the “swirl” on the crankshaft as described in the Service Bulletin.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Larry E

Post by Larry E »

Here's a question for the engine gurus of this wonderful forum:

3 years ago at 1663 hours, my C-145-2H was opened for a new cam, bearings, and 6 new Superior cylinders (plus a lot of other system upgrades, etc.) by a local shop with top notch quality work. It has been running flawlessly in the subsequent 90 hours. I just pulled the prop for it's 5 year inspection and this is what I found:
IMG_4007.jpeg
IMG_4008.jpeg
The plane has not flown since November 2023 and first flight this year was 3 weeks ago.During the past 2 hours of flight time a very thin, small streak of oil has appeared on the front face of one prop blade. There does not appear to be any oil on the back of the prop so I'm pretty sure the seal is OK
My question is regarding the Continental Engine IPC. The exploded diagram depicts an O-ring between the plug and retaining ring. This is for the C-145-2H, NOT for the -2 or some of the O-300 variants. This engine now has no visible O-ring, so I'm wondering if the IPC diagram is accurate?? Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Does anyone have experience with the C-145-2H crankshaft plug? And leak repair?
Earlier posts on this thread suggest there have been problems with the O-360 crankshaft substitution.
There is no record of such a change in this engine, and I also wonder if there is a way to identify which crankshaft is installed here...
My mechanic says he's investigating but I thought there's probably a lot more expertise in our association.

I'd really appreciate any ideas, experience, advice, etc.

Larry
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Larry,
I also have an O-300B engine. The plug which is retained by the snap ring has a groove in it.
AN6227-28
AN6227-28
The AN6227-28 o-ring fits in this groove. AN6227-28 is an obsolete part number and is replaced by MS28775-325. Looking at the chart in Genuine Aircraft Hardware’s catalog, one might consider using an MS25988/1-325 o-ring as that is listed as being compatible with engine oil.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
I can’t recall now whether the lever on the front left side of the engine should be wired in the up or down position but that should be checked to prevent oil flowing to the prop hub.
Gary
Larry E

Post by Larry E »

Thanks Gary.

The "lever" is wired in the up position (both before and after the engine work).

It makes sense that the O-ring goes around the plug, and I assume the overhauler must have installed one. Perhaps it has failed. I'll order one of these as a "just-in-case".
Or maybe the plug is the wrong type?? The IPC seems to imply there is more than one type of plug. Which might be important if an unknown crankshaft has been used. Does anyone know how to get that plug out without damaging it?

Larry
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

There are two options for plugs; what you have — p/n 25149, or a hubbard plug — p/n 24770. As you can see in the last column of the IPC, p/n 25149 is useable on code C and E which translates to the C145-2H and the O-300B engines. Remove the snap ring and pull on the plug center nub with a pliers to remove the plug. Should come right out.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Remove the snap ring, pull the plug, clean out any sludge you find behind the plug. Replace the o-ring. Put some motor oil on it. Replace the plug and snap ring. Your good.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I was going to say make sure and install the snap ring correctly as it’s easy to install them backwards. I’m embarrassed to say that I was about to give the wrong advice. Here’s the right way according to this website:
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary
Larry E

Post by Larry E »

Gary and Bruce.
Thank you for your replys.
Larry
n2582d

Snap Ring Orientation

Post by n2582d »

Apologies in advance for the thread drift.

My previous entry about snap ring orientation should not be used when installing the crankshaft counterweight pins. The overhaul manual specifies that the snap ring be installed “with the flat or rough side to the outside.” Similar instructions are shown on Mandatory Service Bulletin MSB 23-01A:
IMG_0913.jpeg
Gary