TakeOff Performance Evaluation and addt’l considerations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

TakeOff Performance Evaluation and addt’l considerations

Post by GAHorn »

While perusing the internet I came across this accident report produced by Transport Canada (TC) in which, what Should Have Been a non-fatal accident resulted in a fatality.

Four matters involved which are probably important for us to consider are:
1- The need to evaluate EACH TakeOff as related to field-conditions vs performance. (surface conditions and slope)
2- The need to use seat/shoulder belts in Good Condition EACH time, and properly worn (snug).
3- The need to recognize that Service Bulletins/Letters, although not mandated for Pt 91 aircraft, should be given serious attention anyway.
4- Baggage should be properly secured. The bag-shelf in our airplanes is not a reliable restraint.

This fatality was likely due to all four of these.

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repo ... P0071.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gfeher

Re: TakeOff Performance Evaluation and addt’l considerations

Post by gfeher »

It can be surprising how much runway conditions affect takeoff performance. As an example, I have a turf runway at my airport (2400' x 87', 330' elev.) that I keep well mowed. From observation I'm guessing that when the grass is wet, it increases the takeoff roll by about 20-25%. I doubt that most pilots consider that, as I've seen fully loaded C-150's lift off well down the runway on a warm day when the grass is wet. I've posted a takeoff performance calculator form in the pilot lounge, but I wonder how many have actually looked at it, let alone used it.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200