Sport-Pilot Certification

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Sport-Pilot Certification

Post by AR Dave »

Airplane qualifications: max weight = 1320 / 1430 lbs seaplane. Single engine, max speed 138 mph, max stall speed 51 mph, fixed pitch prop, fixed landing gear, limited to pilot and 1 passenger.
Pilot qualifications: 16yrs old, flight training, understand English, 15hrs dual - 5 solo, pass FAA practical test, and have a drivers license.

Will we soon be joined by Sport Pilot Certified Pilots?
Are we (or some of us) light-sport aircraft, as Cubs, Aeronica, Taylorcraft, Champ?
Our members that have lost their 3rd Class Medical can fly again with a Drivers License?
moffet

Post by moffet »

Nope, at least not in a Cessna 170. The main sticking point on the medical is whether you have been denied a medical, vs. letting it just lapse. If you have been denied or refused a medical, you cannot use your drivers license as a medical.

It's an interesting read on eaa.org.

Brian
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Sport-Pilot Certification

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

AR Dave wrote:Are we (or some of us) light-sport aircraft, as Cubs, Aeronica, Taylorcraft, Champ?
I'm not sure I understand what your getting at here. A 170 will never qualify.
AR Dave wrote:Our members that have lost their 3rd Class Medical can fly again with a Drivers License?
No as of now they can't if they were disqualified for a 3rd class medical with out going through the special issuance procedure. The regulation says that you can fly with a driver’s license IF you've never been disqualified in the past at least a 3rd class medical. Once you’ve had a medical and been denied you will have to go through the special issuance process to prove that the condition that disqualified you is being treated satisfactorily and the disqualifying condition is under control.

This is a big problem with the new regulation that the alphabet organizations are trying to get addressed.

Here are 3 samples:
In these samples the person has the same heart attack and other physical conditions.

Person one never had a medical but had a heart attack which is normally forever disqualifying condition for a normal 3rd class medical. Since they never had a medical they were never denied so he CAN fly under Sport Pilot with a valid driver’s license.

Person two at one time had a medical but it had expired. Then they had a heart attack. Since they didn't have a disqualifying condition while they had a current medical they were never disqualified. They CAN fly under Sport Pilot with a valid driver’s license.

Person three had a CURRENT medical of any class and had a heart attack which immediately and forever disqualifies them from obtaining a normal medical of any kind. He CAN NOT fly under Sport Pilot until he goes through the special issuance procedure to show he is being treated and his condition is stable and acceptable. After that he can fly under Sport Pilot but they most likely could also get at least a third class medical.

I know this because it is a personal issue for me. I am like person three in that I’ve had a heart attack while I had a current 2nd class medical. The heart attack was 5 years ago and for the last 4 years I’ve received a special issuance of a 1st class medical.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Excellent explanation of the medical question Bruce!

Why would the 170 not qualify as a light-sport aircraft like for example a Champ does?
If under 1320 lbs and meets all the other qualifications . I might have a slight problem with the maximum speed of 138 mph, however.

In other words, I have a friend that was working on getting his license 10 yrs ago. He even took the written, but never finished up with the check ride. He's had at least 15 hrs dual, 6 hrs solo, & a 3rd class medical as a student pilot. Oh, and an Alaskan Drivers License. So if I interpret this correctly, he can go get a light-sport aircraft and takeoff? When he goes to buy a plane, what will be his limitations? Can he get a 140 but not a 170? Etc......

Another reason this crossed my thoughts - If a 170 were to qualify, then we'd be smart to let our medical's expire! That way if I have a heart attack in the future, I won't have the medical taken away, and I'll be able to keep right on flying with my drivers license. If the 170 won't qualify, then maybe I should get the wife flying the 170 and me get a Cub.
I'm just what-iffin here!
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

AR Dave wrote:Why would the 170 not qualify as a light-sport aircraft like for example a Champ does?
See http://www.sportpilot.org/rule/final_rule_synopsis.html for the qualifications an aircraft design must meet. The 170 fails mainly because its max gross weight is 2200 pounds, which is greater than 1320, and because it has more than two seats. J3s and a few similar designs qualify, but of the factory-built types, few or none since 1950 will make it. The sportpilot.org site has a long list of potential qualifiers among the current homebuilt and kit-built designs.

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave

Johns got it right about the max gross weight and the 4 seats.

Hey John I notice like me you also own a J3. Cool. Doe you ever get to Sentemintal Journey?

jrenwick

J3s and 170s

Post by jrenwick »

Hi Bruce,

No, I haven't been to Pennsylvania with the J3 yet. I bought it 33 years ago while stationed in Hawaii with the Navy, and shipped it home with me when I got out. I flew it down the Mississippi to New Orleans and then to Sun-n-Fun in 2001, and to Alaska last year, so it's been around. My dream is to log my 50th state with a landing at Sentimental Journey. I've got 29 states still to visit, so it may be a while. After the USA-tour is done, I'll put it on floats. So much flying to do, so little time! :D

I have another friend in the Twin Cities area with a 170 and an L4. Nice to know there are other J3 Cubbers in the 170 crowd!

http://www.visi.com/~jkr
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey, Bruce and John. You guys should try to make the 12th Annual, So. Central Cub Migration, Oct 22-24 at Dave Mason's Reklaw Fly-In! Lot's of us 170'ers will be there, including Sloe Joe! :lol:
(Contact Dave Mason for further info. or look in Events/Fly-Ins.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:Hey, Bruce and John. You guys should try to make the 12th Annual, So. Central Cub Migration, Oct 22-24 at Dave Mason's Reklaw Fly-In!
I think I found a picture of it at http://www.airnav.com/airport/7TA7 . What a great-looking airport! It's a long flight from KFCM, but I'll keep it in mind. Would I have to bring my winter jacket? :D

Actually, I work remotely for an outfit in Austin, so it might be a good excuse to get down there!

Thanks!
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

John, if you get to Austin, you should consider dropping by my place 22 miles west (8TA3, Flying X River Ranch). Grass runway, hangar, bedroom, beer, etc. You'd be very welcome, just like any other member.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:John, if you get to Austin, you should consider dropping by my place 22 miles west (8TA3, Flying X River Ranch). Grass runway, hangar, bedroom, beer, etc. You'd be very welcome, just like any other member.
It sounds really great! I like Austin a lot. I'm a "died-in-the-woolens" Northerner, but Austin has good music, food, hills, trees, and water, so it doesn't seem so bad! :lol: Thanks for the invitation!
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
Bruce Fenstermacher

George that would really be a trick for me to get the Cub to Reklaw since I'm in the middle of recovering it. It would be a 20 hour one way trip for the Cub, 12 hours in the 170. Someday who knows.

AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Thanks jrenwick - I got the 1320 lbs mixed up, thinking they were talking empty weight. Guess I'll go back to figuring how to rig a blower into the suction of my 145 hp engine!
R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

Dave,
I think a nitrous system would give more boost and weigh less. :wink: RC
51 Cessna 170A N1263D