Charity Flight Deductions

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dkalwishky

Charity Flight Deductions

Post by dkalwishky »

I have a question regarding deductions for Angel Flight and the EAA’s Young Eagles. I was under the impression that I could only deduct fuel and oil but after talking with several pilots via message boards I am finding that a lot of the calculate the hourly operating cost of their planes and use that number times the number of hours flown. I thought that I had read you can’t deduct things like annual inspections, insurance and hangar rent.

I’d like to know what others do when calculating their deductions.

Dave
djbaker

Charity

Post by djbaker »

I'm sure Angel Flight can give you a definitive answer to your question. In the meantime you refer to a deduction for only " gas and oil " this deduction relates to transportation to and from a charitable activity. In other words when you drive from your home to the airport for an Angel Flight or just for a meeting the gas and oil are deductible or you can use the "standard rate" at $.14 per mile. The Angel flight itself is a different story. The full cost of the donation is deductible. This would include any legitimate expense relating to the donation. You can not deduct any value for your personal service ( the amount you should be paid as pilot ) because you did not actually earn , and report any income, relating to that service. There are a lot of restrictions SO, consult Angel Flight and your tax advisor for your own situation.