OSH

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave Clark

OSH

Post by Dave Clark »

OK, I'll start it :D

How could I say no when a friend with a C340 offered a free ride. We left Seatle Tuesday AM and arrived before dinner. FL210 all the way with a very smooth ride. A little front we'd passed through caught up to us the Thursday and I had to sit it out an hour and a half in the EAA membership tent. Other than that the weather was perfect.

I saw a lot of nice 170's along with about all the other types you can imagine. I'd been maybe 15 years since being there but surprisingly it was much the same and never a disapointment.

I stopped at the 170 type booth and chatted a bit with some of our clan. The Bose folks gave me a new mike boom and silicone earpieces to fix my older set. I bought some pieces to convert my Rosens to fully articulating at the Rosen booth. And then, feeling really flush, I put my name down for one of the first Lowrance 2000 color GPS's. So I guess the trip wasn't cheap after all. My excuse to the wife was (and it's true) that I'd lost my bracket to mount the Lowrance 300 to my panel. When we got to the Island this spring I put it somewhere safe and truly cannot find it. She knows it's a lame excuse but loves to spoil me anyway.

Came home Friday a bit slower but in style. I'm amazed at the different treatment you receive when riding in the big iron. Really red carpet from the large FBO's. But I wouldn't trade it for the fun of the 170 of course.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Kyle Wolfe

More on OSH

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

We too had a great time. We parked in Vintage camping along side a great polished '48 C170 owned by Dan Wood of Spring Hill TN. Like all the members we've met, Dan is a great guy. We met other C170 members that we've met in our travels as well as some new ones. Had fun stopping by the Type Club table. Thanks to all you folks who take the time to run that! Went to the 170 forum and picked up some great tips. Really enjoyed listening to Burt Rutan and Mike Melville at the Theater in the Woods. And of course just enjoyed the airshow and all the great planes.

I thought there were more 170s than in the past. Also saw more 170s in nicer shape than in previous years - which is great to see.

And of course we helped out the economy by buying some stuff we needed as well as stuff we didn't need!

Tried to trade an old beat up blue Bass Pro folding chair that we picked up at Petit Jean, but couldn't find it's owner. Guess we'll just have to keep using it till we travel south.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Kyle, how much do you want for that beat up old chair?
You could advertise it in the 170 Trademart!
:lol:
C170BDan

Oshkosh

Post by C170BDan »

Was a fun trip. Had to delay a couple days in leaving Texas so we arrived on MON about noon. Had headwinds going up so averaged about 105 mph for a trip time of 9hrs. Parking worked out great for us since we werent camping with the 170. Met quite a few 170 owners. A good part of the fun at Oshkosh is to sit under the airplane and let people come by and visit. The trip home went very well too. Usually we have good headwinds heading south but this year it was hardly ANY wind! Averaged 117mph and it took 7hrs 45mins to return to Texas. The 170 ran well and will rest alittle as I let the August heat pass. Hope the other members had a smooth trip like mine!
Dan
1956 170B N3467D
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

I headed 880 miles West before turning about face and heading back to OSH. Met a friend w/ a 180 in Yellowstone. Great camping!. Flew to Jackson Hole for breakfast one morning. Played in the Grand Tetons. MT is very long, flat and boring...flew 2 hrs 'on the deck' just for fun. Fuel burn did actually go down and speed went up (due to ground effect??)

Put on 22 hours in 7 days of travels. Saw 8.1 GPH running at 2700 rpm. TAS was calculated at various locations and was always 127 to 129.

Camped in Row W72 under the wing. Met many great people. Won a ride in the B17...a day I will remember for life.

Confirmed group parking for OSH 2005 for members of the C170 club. We have 35 spots reserved beginning just south of the repair station on the west side of the tramway. Must arrive by noon first day of show to claim a spot. It would be cool to arrange a meet of several 170's at a nearby airport and fly into the show in formation! Bonanzas did it this year.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

N180JB perhaps?
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

As a matter of fact, Yes. Small world, isn't it?
John
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Mike is a good friend of mine. He said he
had fun on the way home from Oshkosh.

One of these years (if I can save enough vacation
time), I'll take my '54 there.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Bela,

I'm up for a flight of two '54's if you are. We should shoot for next year. I was going to take mine this year until I pulled the engine off. I think it'd be pretty cool to park in a gaggle at OSH!

I am pretty mad that you were within 40 miles of my house and didn't let me know you were coming! I just got back from OSH and forgot about the gathering at Cavanaugh, Woops! Nice shot of yours at Ione!

Kelly
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

A lot of Stinsons landed together and parked in a group.

The P51's seemed to hang out together too! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

funseventy wrote:Bela,

I'm up for a flight of two '54's if you are. We should shoot for next year. I was going to take mine this year until I pulled the engine off. I think it'd be pretty cool to park in a gaggle at OSH!

I am pretty mad that you were within 40 miles of my house and didn't let me know you were coming! I just got back from OSH and forgot about the gathering at Cavanaugh, Woops! Nice shot of yours at Ione!

Kelly
Those pictures were taken last summer. I haven't been further
east than Mattawa this year (too much going on on this side!).

The trip to Oshkosh would be fun. Going to have to play it
by ear when the time comes closer.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
punkin170b

Post by punkin170b »

Hey John,
Whaddya hafta do to secure a parking spot in our type/club area for next year? I don't think we can stay the whole time, but we'd like to plan on parking/camping there for 4 nights or so...
Matt
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." (E.K. Gann)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N1478D wrote:A lot of Stinsons landed together and parked in a group.

Hey Joe! Maybe if you talk real nice to them the hot-air balloons will let you arrive with them! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:
N1478D wrote:A lot of Stinsons landed together and parked in a group.

Hey Joe! Maybe if you talk real nice to them the hot-air balloons will let you arrive with them! :lol:
HA! HA! George, is it true that you can fill a Hot Air Ballon up? :lol: That might be a nice way for you to contribute to the environement and save all of that propane.

You should have came up and went to Catfish McGehee's with us. The food was GREAT as always, and at 2500 feet had to close the vents in the middle of August. Took off from the grass strip in a light rain, it sure was pretty up there on the Red River.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Wow! I'd love to go back to McGehees! That is a fun lunch! (I had to work last weekend. Flew up to Mass.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)