shoulder harness bottom line

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

new2cessna

shoulder harness bottom line

Post by new2cessna »

Hello, I am greatful to be flying a 170. My significant other points out the lack of shoulder belts in the 1948 170 ser# 18623, so I called cessna and found they offer a these at 514.00 for one side and 728.00 for other and to anticipate 5-10 hrs. at $100 or so an hour to install in black only. And maybe $2000 is as good as it gets, and we are all certainly worth that, but thought I would ask if any seasoned owners know of any more attractive options available? And thanks to all for all helpful insights on panel lights and heater issues. Tim
rnealon1

Re: shoulder harness bottom line

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi Tim,

I am sure many will chime in here. I just purchased the B. A. S. Inertial Reel harnesses. The come in black, stock Cessna colors, or custom colors. Base price $1475. Not installed yet but if you search the forum you will find much discussion about this.

Good luck!

Bob

https://basinc-aeromod.com/cessna.php
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

There certainly are a couple different ones available... Hooker and BAS are 2 of them. i have a set of older shoulder/lap harness i removed from my plane when i 'upgraded' to the BAS ones. install was easy and they function beautifully however i have read since that some don't like these slow, free release of the shoulder portion of the harness. i actually saw a set that were for sale because of this... he was looking for a more secure shoulder portion.
check ACS as well ... https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/a ... abelts.php they have both lap and shoulders that you can add. WagAero has them too.... https://www.wagaero.com/cessna-170a-b-s ... s-kit.html
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Tim please try out the "advanced search" feature of this website. Be prepared to read tons of good info, opinions and possibly some fluff (most likely written by me :D ).
My input: I have the BAS, installed them , like how they work day in and day out and have used them when I wish I hadn't needed their purpose. In that one case their performance was excellent.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

In a nut shell.

The issue is how to attach the shoulder harness to the structure. Cessna did not add nut plates to the rear carry through spar for this purpose til '52.
Here are the systems that address that:

#1 premium system is the STC'd BAS inertia reel system.
#2 Hooker STC'd mount for fixed shoulder harnessess.
#3 Wag Aero STC'd mount for fixed shoulder harnessess.
I only list the Wag STC #3 over the #2 Hooker system because the Wag install requires going through the outside top cabin skin and the Hooker system does not.

Option #4 would be to add the nut plate to the rear carry through for a fixed shoulder harness system. There is no STC to do this. One would have to think along the lines installing the nut plates is a minor alteration. Installing any shoulder harness is easy legality wise per FAA guidance so long as no major alteration is done in the process.

I installed the Hooker mount and then used surplus inertia reels attached to that for my A model system. The Hooker mount is a major alteration covered by their STC. The actual harnesses I used was installed under a minor alteration.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

However you go about it, I recommend the inertial reels, mainly due to ease of operation of the flaps.. Yes, you can slip your shoulder out of a fixed harness to operate the flaps but, in my mind, that’s about the phase of flight where you need the shoulder harness most.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Grizzley

Post by Grizzley »

I installed the BAS inertia reel belts on C-FIDO, my '53 170B
I owned a '52 model years ago and had the BAS inertia reel harness and tail pull installed along with Rosen visors.
When I bought FIDO, it only had lap belts, no tail pull or visors; it has a one piece windshield and cross brace (installed for float and ski operation).
The instructions have a special note for 170 and 170A models in reference to installing nut plates.
I had to install one because for some reason, on the passenger side, where there should have been a nut plate, all that was there was an empty hole, no nutplate.
Using a nutplate as a guide, I drilled the rivet holes and the 13/32 hole in the carry-through spar, slid a nutplate in there and moved it over to position using a magnet, as per instructions and installed using 3/32 Zinc plated pop rivets as per instructions.
Sounds harder than it was.
The hardest part I found was going ahead and drilling holes in my plane...
I had Hooker harnesses in a couple of airplanes. They are great, but you end up either loosening the shoulder straps or slipping out of them to reach and set the flaps, at the most critical phases of flight.
I have been happy with the BAS systems in this and other planes. Pricy, but well worth it, as are Rosen visors.
JD
mit

Post by mit »

don't wreck and you don't have a problem1 8O
Tim