Rosen Visors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary

Rosen Visors

Post by Gary »

I see only a couple of posts about visors. We are flying West to Denver from Virginia and then on to Oshkosh. I am thinking of buying and installing Rosen visors for the trip. After noon, flying west, we will have the sun in our faces all afternoon. I see a couple of 170 drivers who have the rosen visors. How do you like them. I know they are a bit on the expensive side at $215 from Rosen from June until Aug, but they sure look good. Any advise would be welcome. GARY 54B N1909C
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Here's a low cost solution to the sun visor problem. Go down to Pep Boys, Auto Zone or whatever and get a couple of those flexible tinted plastic sun screens that you can slap up on the inside of the windshield. Works great, for only a few bucks. Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Even easier solution-- wear a ball cap. Easily adjustable for the amount of eye-shading you want. Dan's got some nice ones with a 170 logo on them for $20 delivered. Check the Trademart forum.

Eric
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Rosens are great!
BL
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

I've used the Rosen visors for about 5 years and have never regretted spending the money. I've tried the stick-up plastic sheets and found them to be a royal pain - they don't like to stay where you put them, and its a long reach to the windshield to move them around. The Rosen's are very easy to adjust to exactly where you need them.

I recommend the Rosens.

Dale
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thank you Dale. I will order the Rosens Monday morning. I have a bunch of things I am going to order from Spruce and will add the visors to the list. My annual was on the not so cheap side of the scale, 8O but that is behind me for another year. Next year it should MUCH less. :) Looking forward to flying west with visors. GARY
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Gary

West to Denver is a little out of the way to Oshkosh :P

For nearly 30 years I was too cheap to buy Rosens until last Spring. The best $200 I've ever spent on the airplane. You'll love them.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks Dave. Looks like the Rosens are on sale until Aug to Cessna Association readers. I will order them this morning. The trip to Denver is to visit family before we head to Oshkosh on the return. Should be a great (but long) trip. We flew into the airshow 25 years ago. We drove last year as we had not purchased 1909C yet. Glad we got the 180 HP with CS prop. Should have some impressive density altitudes in Denver. Going to be 100 degrees today!
Thanks again, GARY
170C

Rosen Visors

Post by 170C »

Gary, you mentioned there is a sale on the Rosen visors thru July for Cessna Association readers. What constitutes Cessna Association readers? Are 170 members elgible for the "sale" or is anyone asking Spruce for the sale price elgible?

thanks,

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Gary

Post by Gary »

I just spent 20 mins on the phone with Rosen and the sales lady didn't know about the sale on their web site. I talked her through the flyer I was reading on line while on the phone with her. She didn't know about it but said she would give me the price of $215.00. I am not a Cessna Association member nor reader. She didn't ask me for any membership numbers, nor did I give her any. I was ready to use my 170 Association membership number if needed. I placed the order with her as Spruce wanted $253 for the visors. http://www.rosenvisor.com/index.phtml This link will take you to the home page. Click on Our current ads and enlarge the ad by clicking on it.
"This June, Rosen will offer Cessna Pilots Association readers additional savings on our patented multi positioning sunvisor systems and 3rd Axis Upgrade Kits." Hope this helps. GARY
Last edited by Gary on Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I just ordered the visors from Rosen at a $215 sale price. The sales person mentioned that they installed in the 170 with Rivnuts. I was thinking they installed with just the orriginal one screw. For those who have them, how are yours installed? Do you have the 3rd axis upgrade? I didn't order the 3rd axis at the $65 price but can add them later, maybe at Oshkosh if I find that they add $65 worth of good to the system. Thanks. GARY
JDH

Post by JDH »

I had them on my '52, had to install rivnuts cause there had never been any or no trace of the original hole for visors on my machine. The units I had slid out towards the center, rotated front and back and could swivel to the side window. I just loved them and are along with shoulder harnesses, tail pull and P-Ponk and 180 gear legs are on top of my list of things to have on a 170B. JD
Romeo Tango

Rosen install

Post by Romeo Tango »

The rivnuts provide a very secure mount over a single screw option. The visor should be moved into proper position to block the sun, and that puts a lot of stress on the mounting point. Rivnuts were quite straightforward, and makes the visors very secure. I highly recommend the visors as a fantastic safety investment.

Richard
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Forget visors. I recommend squinting which causes "crows feet" wrinkles to develop at the corners of your eyes and gives you the old, experienced, pilot look.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
theduckhunter

Post by theduckhunter »

I have the Rosens in my 54' 180 and they do a class job. I flew back from Midway airport the other night to Virginia and had the rising moon right in my face a lot of the way and man were the visors nice as the moon seemed as bright as the sun after I had my night eyes. Are they convenient and nice.......yeah man yeah. Are they worth several hundred bucks.........that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Enjoy your new machine.
Robbie Yeaman
Virginia
2993D, now 2980C a C-180