Oil loss from oil filler neck

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Farnold

Oil loss from oil filler neck

Post by Farnold »

I need some advise & recommendations from the group.

I'm leaking oil from the oil filler cap. I've replaced the gasket after finding it to be loose. I also found the locking flange on the neck tube to be bent down and I had to tweak this back into position. I really can't figure out why that was bent down or was it just worn down. Never the less this was done and the cap was still loose but better so I doubled gasketed the cap. (Doesn't seem to be the way this should be done) Seems to be tight and secure but oil is still coming out and making a real mess on the belly of the A/C. Can this filler neck tube be replaced with a new cap also? How is this filler tube removed from the crankcase?

On going with this, I recently had a plugged crankcase breather line. This was taken care of. I've been using the Exxon Elite now for 2 years. Don't understand where these gremlins are coming from.

Any thoughts from the readers will be appreciated.
GAHorn

Re: Oil loss from oil filler neck

Post by GAHorn »

Farnold wrote:I need some advise & recommendations from the group.

I'm leaking oil from the oil filler cap. I've replaced the gasket after finding it to be loose. I also found the locking flange on the neck tube to be bent down and I had to tweak this back into position. I really can't figure out why that was bent down or was it just worn down. Never the less this was done and the cap was still loose but better so I doubled gasketed the cap. (Doesn't seem to be the way this should be done) Seems to be tight and secure but oil is still coming out and making a real mess on the belly of the A/C. Can this filler neck tube be replaced with a new cap also? How is this filler tube removed from the crankcase?

On going with this, I recently had a plugged crankcase breather line. This was taken care of. I've been using the Exxon Elite now for 2 years. Don't understand where these gremlins are coming from.

Any thoughts from the readers will be appreciated.
The gasket is supposed to be "loose". It merely resides below the tabs on the cap. If it's cemented tight it may not conform well to the outer diameter surfaces of the filler tube. The cap should have some resistance as it turns into final position on the tube. Keep the crankcase breather tube free and clear.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I was having an oil leak in the area of the filler neck that turned out to be the "O" ring on the dipstick. Make sure this isn't your problem...Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...