pre flight checklist

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

medsker

pre flight checklist

Post by medsker »

Where can i get a preflight checklist for a 1948 170?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: pre flight checklist

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Preflight, your likely going to have to make your own if your not satisfied with what is in the Owners Hand Book Cessna provided. maybe you've never seen this book, Here is a link to the '48 version we have for free download to members.
'48 Owners Hand Book

Perhaps others who have 170s would share any they've made.

This site has a link to a free check list of unknown author which I've also attached to this post. Looks pretty thorough. You might have to tweak it specifically for your '48 as it's document name says it's for a 170B.
http://www.freechecklists.net/getDoc.as ... FLIGHT.doc

Again for the 170B/172, Checkmate has a commercially available list I thought pretty nice and pretty much appropriate for the 170B.
Attachments
cessna_170b_PREFLIGHT.doc
(32 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Here's the checklist that I have developed over the past month, based on information I have found in the forums and in the Owner's Manual. Send it to Kinkos, print double-sided on card stock, and have them trim and laminate.

It's a work in progress for me and I'm tweaking every couple of flights. Feel free to modify as it suits you. All the legal disclaimers apply here: I developed it for my personal use only and you are ultimately responsible for content and accuracy.

Hope this gets you in the right direction -

Brian
Attachments
1950 C170A Checklist.doc
(62 KiB) Downloaded 972 times
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
medsker

Post by medsker »

thanks for the info! But I have one other question can I install a stall warning on my 1948 170 since it didnt have one new ?
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Sure can but you might have second thoughts about the necessity of having one when you see the price tag of new stall warning switches. See fig. 50 of your IPC.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Two major parts you will need are the wing stall warning switch 0413313-1 and the indicator 0413313-2 (with light 0413313-6). Non of the '48 part numbers in this case are available nor are they superseded in the online data. However, we believe they are the same parts fount on the 170A and the 170B, the later where they are required.

Looking at the 170A or 170B IPC you will find different part numbers, some which have to be typos in the Cessna part # or the Safe Flight part number. But I've boiled it down to this. The indicator is 0511062-2, Safe Flight 1-02-000 and lamp 0511062-3). The indicator is no longer available according to CessnaParts.com.

The wing switch is 0511062-4. This supersedes to S1672-5. S1672-5 is available currently at your price of $5827. That is five thousand, eight hundred, twenty seven, I didn't forget the decimal. Knowing the price of these new, salvage yards aren't likely to let them go cheaply but you could try. Salvage yards also know the warning horns are like hens teeth to find and have a value to those that need them. The good news is that most people have no clue what these parts cost and I've seen the horn for $5. I no doubt will see a wing switch some place with a similar price tag.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Maybe a mod can split this topic off as I think it might have legs. First, I'm wondering whether the 48 wing being fabric and possibly having a different wing L/E profile might pose additional difficulties in the install of the .stall vane ? Could a Bendix King KLR 10 be installed and do the same thing ?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

To add on to what Jim is saying I think one would have to contact Cessna Technical Support (316)517-5800 and ask for a copy of the stall warning indicator installation kit (52-3-119) instructions. One needs this to accurately place the stall warning switch/vane.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

WHY.....oh, ..WHY... would anyone want a stall detector on a ragwing which has such beautiful and clear warnings that it is about to stall...and why is anyone flying around these days on the edge of one?

The B-model is required to have a stall warning because 1.- it has almost no buffet prior to clean stalls and 2.- full flaps will commonly set up a rapid wings-level descent without an actual break and might pass by without much notice to someone asleep-at-the-wheel. (Certification rules required a clear airframe buffet/warning to occur 3-5 mph prior to a stall or a warning device must be installed. The ragwing is a straight wing planform with perfectly predicable stall onset so it met the rule. So did the A-model. But the B's dihedral and flaps so stabilized the planform the natural airframe buffet is almost absent.)

I wish it were NOT required equipment on my B... I'd sell mine in a heartbeat.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

Hey George, I was sitting here wondering what I was missing- I have never had any inclination to want a stall horn on my ragwing, in fact I have always been glad it doesn't! The stall has always given plenty of warning without a blaring horn.
Ragwing S/N 18073
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I agree. The test pilots probably felt the same way and came up with the disconnect switch (#8) mounted on the piano keys to shut the annoying buzzer off. That switch - and the wires which would be seen underneath it - seems like a tacky way to ruin what is the classiest thing about the panel. Why didn't they use the spare piano key between the master and the turn and bank switch to mount the stall horn disconnect switch? Why the cover on the right side of the panel? Isn't that where the required fuel pressure gauge should go? Finally, why screw the stall warning horn/light into the instrument panel cover? Shouldn't it be on the panel beneath it with the rest of the instruments? One gets the impression that Cessna didn't put much thought into the optional stall warning installation.
Gary
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

I'm just removing my wings for recovering and my 48 has some sort of after market transducer type stall warning device mounted on the left hand leading edge....very ugly looking. For the record it never worked very good so I disconnected it 17 years ago. Anyway it is not going back on after recovering.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Given the cost of the stall warning system I think I would go with a Angle of Attack indicator instead, plus it's more useful information. $390 to $1600 depending on which model you get.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL