Temporary Numbers

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N73087

Temporary Numbers

Post by N73087 »

Pam and I are off for a weekend in the Bahamas. What is the best tape to use for temporary 12 inch numbers? I want it to stand up to our Mach number and be easy to remove.
Duct tape? Blue painters masking tape? Black electrical tape?
Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Be really cool and go down to the local Michael's or other Craft shop and buy water-based paint. Use a brush, paint it on. Get home, hose it off. (Just don't park it in a rainstorm unless you bring the paint can and brush with you.) :lol:
This is what we do when I ferry aircraft overseas or immediately after coming out of the paint shop when the FAA paperwork isn't completed for the new N-number. We just paint the old number over the new one, then wash it off when the paperwork arrives.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jcraver

Post by jcraver »

I met a guy coming back from Mexico in Santa Barbara. He had purchased stencils from aircraft spruce and used dry erase markers to put the numbers on. I don't know how it would hold up in the rain, but they looked pretty good. My understanding is that in Mexico at least, you don't need the big numbers. You only need them to get back into the US.
jc