Exhaust pipes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Personal contact info such as phone numbers, email addresses, and physical addresses should not be posted except by their owner, or with their owner's express permission.
(How would you like to find out your personal info was put on the World Wide Web without your knowlege or permission?)
TIC170A members have Directories which provide contact information, and private correspondence with each other is certainly your own business, just don't put it here without permission from the owner.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

My wife never answers with a simple NO or Yes, either! :wink:
echomike

Re: Ceramic coatings on the Exhaust system

Post by echomike »

[quote="echomike"]I have ceramic coated two exhaust systems. The first was on a Stinson 108-2 I owned for several years. Before doing it I checked with the local maintenance guy at the Houston FSDO. (sorry can't remember his name) and he said you couldn't do it without an STC or 337. He was adamant. After a fairly long conversation I asked him what was the difference between ceramic, Hi heat paint, chroming etc? Aren't they all "protective coatings?" After he thought about it for a while he said "go for it", The term (protective coating) will probably allay any "stickler types" you run into!
End result: much cooler exhaust pipes(and under cowl temps over all), no rusting (except where normal expansion and contraction caused slip joint rubbing etc), much better looking and to-date (I just called the Stinsons owner to check) no cracking after several annuals. I know this may start an " opinion firestorm" but I intend to also Ceramic coat any other exhaust systems I own when I get the chance. Helpfull comments?
Keep the dirty side down and Fly Safe
Echomike[/quote]

UPDATE: Log onto the powerflow website and you will find that ceramic coating is "FAA approved" and available as an extra cost option with their performance exhaust systems :) echomike
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Thanks for updating us on this Echomike!
Dave :)