iPad Mini's

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Re: iPad Mini's

Post by DaveF »

John, does the yoke mount work when you display the Stratus attitude indicator on the iPad? That is, do you find it disorienting to have the AI picture rotate with the yoke?
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

That's a good question, Dave. I don't use the attitude display much at all, and I've only really looked at it in level flight. Haven't done any hood work with it. Swifts are very responsive, and you don't have to turn the wheel very far to get a pretty good roll rate going -- so I don't think it would be a problem.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:
robw56 wrote:
daedaluscan wrote:Anybody using an iphone 6 plus? I think this might be big enough?
I'm using both an IPad Mini and an IPhone 6+ with a Stratus 2S and love the combo!

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/images ... 46e54d.jpg
What did you use for the iPhone mount? Velcro?

Doesn't look like you used the belt cradle for the phone.
Yep, just velcro for the Iphone. I usually get a new phone about every two years so I didn't want to put any more holes in the panel for an actual mount. Quick and easy, and cheap! The iPad mini uses an AirGizmos panel dock.
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

That is a real nice panel Rob!!!!
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks guys! John, I have that same RAM set up in my plane and that is what I was using until I messed up and left my iPad in a hotel room. Now looking to find a reconditioned one to replace it.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I have an iPhone 6S Plus and while I was getting that a couple weeks ago, I got talked into buying an iPad. I was needing to upgrade from my 16GB WiFi only iPad 2, and ended up with a 64GB 4G iPad Air 2 since they didn't have any Minis in stock with more than 16GB capacity. I've had 16GB iPhones and iPads long enough that I'm done with that. I love the 128GB 6S Plus that I just got.

I'm surprised at how well my new iPad works even when not connected to a Stratus. I don't have one, but that's my next major purchase before I get back home and start flying again. I would have preferred the Mini, but the smaller form factor of the Air is better than the clunky iPad 2 that I used to have. The interface for ForeFlight is different for iPhones and iPads, so while the iPhone 6(S) Plus screen is large enough, it's not got the functionality of the iPad interface.

I have been using both in the airplane and tend to favor the iPhone since I don't have a mount for either yet. I imagine that the wife will end up holding the iPad, the iPhone will get a RAM mount on my side of the airplane, and a Garmin AERA 560 will get stuck to the panel to give us XM music while we fly. 8)

It's only money, right?