Cracked Tailwheel Fork

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Roesbery

Re: Cracked Tailwheel Fork

Post by Roesbery »

I was told yesterday that a local super cub hit a rock with the tail wheel and it cracked in the same place as yours did. You may have hit something without knowing it.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Roesbery wrote:I was told yesterday that a local super cub hit a rock with the tail wheel and it cracked in the same place as yours did. You may have hit something without knowing it.
I have actually seen that happen as well.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

sfarringer wrote:Unfortunately, there will be no recourse.
It was un-used when I bought it, but it was not new. I bought it from an individual who had purchased it many years ago but had not used it.

At this point I do not have any reason to think it is more sinister than an isolated occurrence.
But it might be interesting to get a look inside the crack and see if there are any clues.

I think I will put it in boiling water and see if the bearing cup will come out, before sawing thru the side opposite the crack.

I had all the parts to reassemble my old Scott 3200, and put it together today, so the old girl is back on three wheels.
I'm with Jim, I would definitely file a SDR. Why you likely won't get any recourse from the OEM, at least they'll know about it. Believe it or not, a lot of OEM's will research this stuff, go back to see if was a bad casting lot or such, and if they find something attempt to notify current owners. (I work for an OEM and have personally seen this happen.) Thus your reward may be saving someone else from a bad day. Odds are slim it gets that far, but they are 0 if you say nothing.

DEM
DMACJR

Post by DMACJR »

Sad, but I found mine to be the same way while doing the annual last Sept, same place, same crack path, seems to have been the original 3200 fork, fortunately prior to my annual I had found a NOS never installed unit for sale on EBAY and I bought as a JIC part, glad I did.......there's alot of stress going on back there and if all of it is not in good working order something is gonna give......at least you found it like I did, on an inspection, but I am so extra careful on preflight to check the ass end over extra....