Circuit Breaker Install

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mongo2

Re: Circuit Breaker Install

Post by mongo2 »

Nice job indeed. I'm in the process of a similar mod, but in an A model. Just 2 questions,1 for Kyle, and 1 in general...:

In the 2nd picture, the main bus bar covers all the breakers, minus the Land Light breaker.
- are you wiring the power to that breaker from the bar, due to the terminal setup?

In the 4th\final picture, the Gen is a 60A .
- According to the diagrams and wire numbers listed in the 170A IPC, it appears the ammeter run from Bat + , through the ammeter, directly to the bus bar.
How is the gen breaker wired into the bus bar and gen system? I have no existing harnness from which to copy, and the drawings are ok but it is hard to determine a few things
I have referred to the Cessna 100 series manual, and there are 2 drawings that are close , based on a '56 172.. one has an ammeter, and one does not.
They show the gen breaker attached to the main bus , in the same manner as all other breakers...

Rick 8O
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

mongo2 wrote: In the 2nd picture, the main bus bar covers all the breakers, minus the Land Light breaker.
- are you wiring the power to that breaker from the bar, due to the terminal setup?
The Klixon 7277 series breakers only go up to 20A so had to use different breaker for the 25A circuit, and yes the terminals were oriented differently so I'll use a jumper from the alternator breaker.

I actually have a 60A alternator installed - one of the things I need to do is relabel the panel. The bus (or buses) are powered directly from the alternator through the 60A circuit breaker. The ammeter is wired from the battery solenoid to the bus so that it only works with the master switch on. If you wire it directly to the + side of the battery you are bypassing the master switch and your buss will always be powered by the battery (at least until your battery goes dead).
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

When I did mine, I bent the copper bus at an angle so I could nut and bolt the jumper and amp wire onto the bus.
I didn't feel good about the big gauge wire terminal on the little #8 screw on the klixon.
Over kill for a 35 amp generator? Absolutely.
BackOfBreakers2.png
mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

Thanks Karl, and Dave.. Yes , I think I wrote the ammeter portion incorrectly. As I understand it now, the ammeter is wired directly to the bus bar , from the battery solenoid , and the Gen breaker is wired from the B terminal on the regulator, through the breaker, and that feeds the main bus... The ammeter wire , although connected to the bus directly, is not really the feed. The generator breaker is the feed and protection.. , but if the Gen breaker opens , and the master is on, then there is still power to the bus,via the ammeter wire, being batt voltage only. Is that all correct? I may have made that more complicated than needed..

Rick :?
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Rick, if I'm reading your post correctly you have it right.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Dave, It's probably just the picture but your bus bar and the screws attaching circuit breakers to it look very close to the bottom edge of the panel. Might be worth having some sort of insulator between the two if it is as close as it appears in the picture.
Gary
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

n2582d wrote:Dave, It's probably just the picture but your bus bar and the screws attaching circuit breakers to it look very close to the bottom edge of the panel. Might be worth having some sort of insulator between the two if it is as close as it appears in the picture.
It's not as close as it looks. When I installed it, I remember fretting quite a bit about shorting the bus.
It's far enough away that you can't force it to short even by twisting the bracket (without a pipe wrench) and its even difficult for a nut to drop and short it.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I thought it might be a bit of an optical illusion. Hate it when the "shower of sparks" is someplace other than the magneto system!
Gary