Request for photos

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

48RagwingPilot

Request for photos

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Could someone with an A or B model either take a photo of one of the fuel lines passing through the rear gear box bulkhead forward toward the fuel selector valve or describe in detail the method used by Cessna to penetrate that bulkhead and support the fuel line? I need this info to move forward with removing the fuel pump from my '48. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Request for photos

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The fuel line goes up the middle tunnel which also houses control cables. Here is a few drawings from the IPC.
Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 1.15.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 1.18.29 PM.png
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

My '52 B model is a little different than Bruce describes. On mine the line runs to the right outside the tunnel. The line passes through three 1" dia. holes that call for AN931-6-16 grommets. The IPC shows two lines (p/n 0500106-60 (forward), and p/n 0500106-89 (aft)). The IPC forgets to include a union, AN815-6D, between the two lines. In the second picture you can see where my two lines join. I assume this is original but have not compared this to other 170's. Threading the forward line without having the firewall off will be a real challenge.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Gary
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Thanks to you both for the replies, drawings and photos. It appears the fuel selector valve in the A and B models is located at the aft end of the tunnel, aft of the gear box bulkheads, while in the '48 it is located in the middle of the tunnel, forward of the gear box bulkheads. So, it looks like I'll be able to penetrate the gear box bulkheads on both sides of the tunnel using 1" holes and grommets and then into the fuel selector valve, which should work out well.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Those bulkhead grommets are very important! Without them, the bulkhead will eventually "saw" its way thru the gas line if it touches the bulkhead. Vibration wear is very patient and will eventually get the job done even if it takes 50 years. One of the grommets was missing on my plane and was caught by an astute IA during an annual. When the line came out, one bend at the abraded area and the line broke in two! It was just thousanths of an inch away from wearing thru. If it had broken, the entire contents of the fuel tanks would have dumped into the belly. I don't even want to think about the enevitable outcome had that happened.

Another thought, bulkhead fittings on the fuel line at each bulkhead would have good and bad points. With them, each section of line between bulkheads could be individually replaced without having to snake a pre-bent line into confined spaces. The fittings themselves would prevent bulkhead chafing and rigidly support the lines. On the other hand, it would cause the fuel line to weigh more and have more potential leak spots.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Excellent information, thanks. I'm going to propose to my A&P/IA using a combination of grommets and strategically placed Adel clamps. I hope to document the project with photos so the next guy won't have to reinvent the wheel.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Another thing you may need to consider is where water may collect in your new layout. The low point with the tail down in the B model is between the door posts and the fuel selector. The later style fuel selector has a pipe plug in the bottom that some have replaced with a drain valve.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

n2582d wrote:Another thing you may need to consider is where water may collect in your new layout. The low point with the tail down in the B model is between the door posts and the fuel selector. The later style fuel selector has a pipe plug in the bottom that some have replaced with a drain valve.
The early A model selector also has a pipe plug that a drain valve could be installed. However the plug is not often found above a hole in the belly for easy access and if you care about such things the STC which is available only covers the B model.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

Also if you search the forums you can find where some have replaced the fuel selector mounting hardware with nutplates to make removing anytime at a later date much easier working thru the access hole. Excellent idea.
Mike Roe
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Thanks again for all the great comments and ideas. If possible, I'd like to install a drain valve in the fuel selector. Does anyone have information on the applicable STC? My field approval is pretty broad and authorizes alteration of the existing fuel lines to mimic the B model, so it may be possible.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I installed the CAV-110H-4 , which allowed a short drainpipe to extend below the belly.
Saf-Air 1/8" pipe
Saf-Air 1/8" pipe
cav-110h-4.jpg (16.47 KiB) Viewed 9445 times
IF you decide to actually mess with an STC to install an operable drain plug in lieu of a plain drain plug.... don't forget to fill out Form 337. :roll:

Also, do not use much torque to install, remembering that it is only gravity pressure that exists in this location. Do not use Teflon pipe thread tape either, particles can drift downstream and end up in your carb. (Use a small dab of Permatex No. 2 instead on only the second thread, IMO.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The threads, on the above picture of the CAV-110H-4 drain fitting, look to me like straight machine threads rather than tapered pipe threads. If such is the case, some sort of a gasket would be required.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Nope, ...they're NPT.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Thanks, fellas. More to follow as the project progresses.