Brass Safety Wire

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

C170U2

Brass Safety Wire

Post by C170U2 »

A friend of mine is working on a really nice Baby Ace and has used brass safety wire throughout. I really like the look of the brass, and I'm curious about the advantages/disadvantages of using it? I assume the brass might be easier to work with and a little softer. It's also about twice the price. Can you use brass on a certified aircraft?

Mike
minton

Re: Brass Safety Wire

Post by minton »

No, Just vintage at your own risk.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Brass is not a good "safety" wire.... It's a good WITNESS wire, however. (It'll let you know the device ...such as a switch-guard, a fire-ext actuator-pin, etc etc has not been messed with.... and will allow simple hand-strength to activate a switch, knob, or pull a pin. But it is too soft/fragile to be "safety wire".
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

Safety wire is not for looks. :?
Tim
minton

Post by minton »

Copper=witness wire
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I wouldn't fly in that aircraft for my own safety. "Brass safety wire" NO such thing . Stainless steel safety stops "things" coming undone. To hell with the good looks . Some said it can be used for a witness wire , well in the FAA good book it states that it has to be copper wire for switch guards and fire extinguishes .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:I wouldn't fly in that aircraft for my own safety. "Brass safety wire" NO such thing . Stainless steel safety stops "things" coming undone. To hell with the good looks . Some said it can be used for a witness wire , well in the FAA good book it states that it has to be copper wire for switch guards and fire extinguishes .
Exactly where..in the FAA good book...does it specify copper only?
(and gauge? hardness?) I don't think that's a specification, only a referral. I've also seen aluminum wire used as witness wire.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)