Rudder Trim

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

james_layman

Rudder Trim

Post by james_layman »

Am looking for advice how to adjust the rudder trim tab. Noticed lately I've got about half a ball deflection to the left and when I looked at the tab it is noticebly running left. So I need to recenter or possibly slightly right. Anyway, we are considering clamping something like a 15-16 inch board to both sides and using that to move the tab. Are we on the right track, or is there a better method?

Thanks- Jim
canav8

Re: Rudder Trim

Post by canav8 »

this one is from Eastwood
this one is from Eastwood
Jim, your way is good, but a sheet metal duck bill pliers is best. you can get them at any aircraft tool supplier or even harbor freight, eastwood even has one.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Aryana wrote:A hand seamer as pictured above is a good choice. Horror (Harbor) Freight has em cheap.
Thanks for correcting it Aryana. He is right. It is a Hand Seamer not a duck bill. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Jim, may I suggest before you go bending metal..... check your rudder circuit and rudder-return springs for rigging and tension (and correct parts.)
In fact, it's a great time to check the entire airplane for rigging per the instructions found in the MX Library.

AFTER you have done that, then consider rudder and wing eccentrics.

By the way.... MOST 170 rudder trim tabs are deflected slightly left. (Implying a slight need for right rudder at cruise.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Before doing any adjustments put the plane on a level surface and use a level to be sure the fuselage and wings are level right left. Then see if the ball is centered or not. If not then adjust the gauge as needed in its' mounting until it is. Then go fly and see where it is at. With the ball centered both wings should stall at the same time, not one before the other. Then you can make any adjustments needed to fly straight at cruise setting.