Pilots seat secondary stop

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cjfereday

Pilots seat secondary stop

Post by cjfereday »

If I have the secondary stop at the back of the seat tracks, am I required to have the inertia reel belt stop on the pilots seat also?

Thanks, Clint Fereday N2553V 1948 ragwing
bagarre

Re: Pilots seat secondary stop

Post by bagarre »

There is no AD fora secondary seat stop. They are just very good ideas.
I don't know if Cessna is still installing pilot side reels for free anymore. I never got mine done.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The Cessna secondary seat stop is still available free from Cessna. There is no required secondary seat stop by AD or otherwise flying under part 91.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:The Cessna secondary seat stop is still available free from Cessna. There is no required secondary seat stop by AD or otherwise flying under part 91.
This is true but there is more to it then part 91. If you do any commercial (for hire) flying in the aircraft they are required. Compliance with TBO, and Service Bulletins included. Good example is flight instruction. FYI
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
minton

Post by minton »

For you procrastinators (Cheap-o's) There are accidents behind that AD Just say'in :D
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

New seat rails, new rollers, new latch pins and guides well within limits.
Hardly cheap.

So long as the rails and parts are in good condition and the pin is in, the setup is safe.
Bruce Fenstermacher

minton wrote:For you procrastinators (Cheap-o's) There are accidents behind that AD Just say'in :D
What AD are you talking about minton?

daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I have these guys, and removed the (non functioning) Cessna secondary seat stop from my pilot side seat.

http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/ ... atlock.php
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
170C

Post by 170C »

Those Aerostops are pretty good looking units, although pricey. I have the Cessna seat stop that they paid to have installed and I have not had any complaints yet. Nothing to lock or unlock, just raise the seat lever to push back the seat and release the lever upon setting the seat where you want it when flying.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
jwmcgu

Post by jwmcgu »

I hesitate to reply to this discussion, but if it will save someone's life I'll share my experience. In November 1984 I was on take off in my 170b, pushing forward on the yoke, airspeed about 35mph and the pilot seat slid all the way to the back seat. The previous owner had removed all seat stops for ease of entry. I thought I had bought the farm. Aircraft had not reached flying speed but leaped off the ground. Throttle still at full advance. I only had the yoke in one hand. Can not reach the ruder pedals. Aircraft heading to right of runway. Finally use entry assist stray to pull me and seat back to front. Stand on breaks as the aircraft main gear goes over 3-4 foot runway drop off. Wing contacts ground, prop strike ground, fuels runs down windshield, pilot exits aircraft.
About two weeks after the accident, Cessna put out a letter suggesting that the seat tracks be checked for wear.
I don't care what it cost to have safe seat tracks and safety stops. My stops are adjusted so that if the seat is full back I can still reach all the controls. I don't care if I need to crawl over the seat on entry. These 170s are not fun to fly from the back seat.
John McGuire
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks for posting John. Glad you only hesitated but did post.

The seat sliding back has always worried me. I made it a habit to advance the throttle then release the throttle and hold on to the hand hold in the instrument panel in case I needed to hold myself forward. I did have an aftermarket set stop installed on the rails but nearly always forgot to set it.

I procrastinated getting the Cessna secondary seat stop solution. It looks hooky. My partner just rolled his eyes at it and only agreed to it because it was free. I didn't think it was going to stay in adjustment and I thought I'd end up removing it as being a pain to deal with.

But guess what. Nearly 3 years installed now and not a lick of trouble with it. It's been so trouble free I start to think it can't possibly be working but when I test it, it is always locked when it should be and releases when it should. We have almost forgotten it is there. Well that isn't true. Every time I advance the throttle I remember it's there and I feel just a little bit better that I won't end up in the back seat.

I'm keeping it

KS170A

Post by KS170A »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I procrastinated getting the Cessna secondary seat stop solution. It looks hooky.
A good question for a person considering this mod and thinking it looks hokey or silly to ask is, "Will this look as hokey or silly as a bent up airplane (or worse)?" My airplane was used as the kit-proof (test article) for the installation of the kit, so the 1st A model to get them. Only time I've had to mess with them (other than removal for annual) is when a service bulletin was issued on some of them. Other than that, completely trouble free, and much better than ANY alternative to the seat sliding backwards unexpectedly. Just do it!
--Josh
1950 170A
minton

Post by minton »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
minton wrote:For you procrastinators (Cheap-o's) There are accidents behind that AD Just say'in :D
What AD are you talking about minton?
seat tracks
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:The Cessna secondary seat stop is still available free from Cessna. There is no required secondary seat stop by AD or otherwise flying under part 91.
Called my local Cessna Service Center a few weeks ago (and yes I had to look up who it was online) and ordered the kit. According to the service manager it's still free for the pilot seat, including install, but his feeling was act now because if the FAA makes it an AD Cessna may stop giving them away and start charging. He also cautioned not to be in a hurry as Cessna is months behind on delivery.

DEM
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

flyboy122 wrote:his feeling was act now because if the FAA makes it an AD Cessna may stop giving them away and start charging. He also cautioned not to be in a hurry as Cessna is months behind on delivery.
DEM
Cessna has been sued so many times for the seat track issues, I really can't believe they would charge much, if anything, if it did become an AD (which I also doubt). Even if they did start charging, likely not much (the fuel caps are still somewhat reasonably priced).
--Josh
1950 170A